May 05, 2024, 07:27:32 AM

Author Topic: Flat damage.  (Read 9271 times)

Darsul

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Flat damage.
« on: September 06, 2013, 05:17:04 PM »
I love rolling dice but, Really hate rolling 5 of them at fox with 1hp left and rolling a goose egg. It would be nice to have a few attack spell and/or creature that could for sure swing with 1-3 damage. I'm not looking to go over board on this even go as far to make the "trait" Unique. Just for the time when you need that roll to hit.

I'm thinking where an attack would roll normal 6 dice now roll 3[dice] and adds 3 [normal] damage (so, 3 + (the what ever you got from the dice roll)). Your giving up max damage and crit for some flat damage.

Wiz-Pig

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
Re: Flat damage.
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 05:38:29 PM »
I love rolling dice but, Really hate rolling 5 of them at fox with 1hp left and rolling a goose egg. It would be nice to have a few attack spell and/or creature that could for sure swing with 1-3 damage. I'm not looking to go over board on this even go as far to make the "trait" Unique. Just for the time when you need that roll to hit.

I'm thinking where an attack would roll normal 6 dice now roll 3[dice] and adds 3 [normal] damage (so, 3 + (the what ever you got from the dice roll)). Your giving up max damage and crit for some flat damage.

Well Acid Splash coming out in the next set does at least one point of automatic damage if a creature doesn't have any armor, Malacoda does automatic poison damage, Torment of Morlock can do autodamage to cursed creatures.  As to your specific example there is only a 1 in 243 chance of that happening, that sucks... foxes are wily critters though :P.

Just out of curiousity, why were you using a 5 die attack on a bitterwood fox with one hit left? They don't exactly pose a threat.

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 06:06:02 PM »
By mana cost, Foxes (with ring) and Goblins are the most efficient sources of damage in the game. They have lots of problems staying alive, but they do hit way above their weight. Seems reasonable to kill them, to me.
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.

Darsul

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 07:44:29 PM »
~
Well Acid Splash coming out in the next set does at least one point of automatic damage if a creature doesn't have any armor, Malacoda does automatic poison damage, Torment of Morlock can do autodamage to cursed creatures.
~

I haven't checked spoilers for new cards coming out but, I was looking for damage out side of upkeep.

~ As to your specific example there is only a 1 in 243 chance of that happening, that sucks... foxes are wily critters though :P.~

Damn fox bit me for the last time ;), so I thought. Long story short I was to be a victim of either convince(sweeping attack with a forcemage) or humor (was wining a game with a wizard and has some spell on a stick an thought hell why not). I don't remember which was the fox but, either way I was pissed [both times something was to die and didn't].

As for your dice math... (I DON'T WANT A WAR ON DICE MATH HERE ;D) just by glancing at it you not taking into account each dice had 2 "blank" sides. A .004 chance just seems too low for that. No matter that math it was very demoralizing.

Wiz-Pig

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2013, 09:14:29 PM »
As for your dice math... (I DON'T WANT A WAR ON DICE MATH HERE ;D) just by glancing at it you not taking into account each dice had 2 "blank" sides. A .004 chance just seems too low for that. No matter that math it was very demoralizing.

1/3 of the sides are blank meaning a 1/3 chance per die. The chance of getting every die as a blank is 1/3X. In this case 35 which equals 243.

Stormmaster

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 08:25:29 AM »
Instead of Mage Wars is this Math Wars?  :P

tarkin84

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2013, 08:58:55 AM »
I love the way Maths are tied to this game. It's one of the reasons why I love it so much! :D
My Mage Wars blog (in Spanish): www.gatetovoltari.blogspot.com

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2013, 09:35:15 AM »
When you roll 36D for zero damage like me then you can complain. That is 1 / 150,094,635,296,999,121
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

Moonglow

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2013, 02:23:49 AM »
I wanna know what you had going on to get 36D?! Other than eating really badly and getting obscene man (assumed) boobs.

When you roll 36D for zero damage like me then you can complain. That is 1 / 150,094,635,296,999,121

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2013, 10:45:52 AM »
I wanna know what you had going on to get 36D?! Other than eating really badly and getting obscene man (assumed) boobs.

It was a combo that got nerfed. involved wall of thorns.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2013, 12:07:38 PM »
I can see how you get to 30, but 36 is tricky. Wall of thorns used to do X attacks instead of X-1?

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2013, 12:41:56 PM »
I can see how you get to 30, but 36 is tricky. Wall of thorns used to do X attacks instead of X-1?

marked for death also used to be all attacks 8)

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2013, 12:49:01 PM »
Yeah, that's how you get 30 :)

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2013, 12:57:51 PM »
Yeah, that's how you get 30 :)

Mage is level 6 + marked for death

that is 6 (level of mage) x 3 (number of dice per attack due to mark) for 18 dice each force push.
push 1: 18 dice
push 2: 36 dice (stopped here after needing to do 5dmg and getting 0)
push 3: 54 dice ( as i was about to get up i tossed the last 18 dice for 4 damage)

4 damage over 54 dice and still no kill :'(
It was Wizard + Huggin volleyball I could push up to 3 x a round

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2013, 01:14:49 PM »
Yeah, the part I was missing was that you were doing 6 attacks instead of 5. Wall of Thorns is a lot scarier when it does as many attacks as your level, instead of level-1. That was a good nerf :)