May 05, 2024, 10:48:25 AM

Author Topic: Thunderdome Insight (Player Interviews)  (Read 4597 times)

Schwenkgott

• Thunderdome
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Thunderdome Insight (Player Interviews)
« on: October 22, 2015, 12:03:03 PM »
I had the idea to talk with the players about the Thunderdome, the recent matches and Mage Wars in general.

Here you will see the result :)
Akiro, I have never prayed to you before. No one will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we fought, or why we died. All that matters is that one stood against many. That's what's important! Valor pleases you, Akiro... so grant me strength! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!

Schwenkgott

• Thunderdome
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Re: Thunderdome Insight (Player Interviews)
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2015, 12:03:22 PM »
Interview with Sharkbait

Achievements in the Thunderdome series so far:
Ro8 (first round) lost against Keejchen in the first Octgn tournament
Ro16 (first round) lost against Arxiducs  in the Thunderdome I. tournament
Ro2 (third round) lost against MasterMystery in the Thunderdome II. tournament 

Schwenkgott: Congratulations on reaching the U.S. Finals of Thunderdome II.!
Sharkbait: Thank you very much! I was really happy to compete, it was a lot of fun.

Schwenkgott: Good to see that it worked out this time. You didn't make it that far in the first 2 tournaments. What was different?
Sharkbait: The biggest thing that I can point to is the amount of experience I've gained in the time from the first tournament through the 'Dome II. The first tournament was really my first competitive tournament of Mage Wars (I exclude GenCon 2014 since I was really only playing to play, not to compete.) The 'Dome I was only my 2nd competitive tournament, but I learned a lot from the first and tried to apply it to the second. The end result was that I was really good at the damage rush but didn't seem to have an answer for when things didn't roll my way and couldn't adapt well. By the time the 'Dome II rolled around, I had been playing this book competitively for a while and was more aware of various strategies I might see. I was able to plan how to incorporate my win condition (which generally amounts to burn the other guy to the ground) within various strategies outside of just the rush. I was also fairly practiced at refining the book building, though I admittedly didn't get to spend as much time as I wanted to prior to the book submission date. The experimental cards ended up working fairly well for me though, but I attribute that more to experience than a grand strategy with them.

Schwenkgott: It's remarkable that you managed to win again Arxiducs, who threw you out of the last Thunderdome. You even used the same mages as last time. What has changed since then?
Sharkbait: I had a lot of preparation time this time around  . I knew Arx liked to thorn push a lot and then supplement the damage with some (very flammable) creatures. I set my game plan around the newly added Flaming hellions to keep the other creatures off of me while I armored up to make the thorn push useless. I didn't see the Grizzly coming, that was pretty awesome, but I've gotten pretty good at knocking out big creatures pretty fast. Once I had control of the board position, I turned up the fire and that was able to work out for me. Ultimately, it seems that experience plays a role in what's different yet again. I've learned a lot in the time between Thunderdomes.

Schwenkgott: You used the Adramelech Warlock in all of the online tournaments so far. She's one of the newest mages, what do like about her?
Sharkbait: I'm a huge fan of how quickly you can turn a 6 dice fireball attack into a 10 dice fireball attack  . I'm also a fan of finding mages that are generally underused and finding ways to use them. The first mage I ever played was an Arraxian Crown Warlock (I apparently have a thing for fire and burning stuff....) and I liked him, but the playstyle of the Adramelech Warlock matches up with how I like to play games like this. I'm usually a fairly aggressive player, but can appreciate how control decks work (For those who have played MtG, I love red burn fast decks, but also love to play Izzet to combine some of the control with attacking.)

Schwenkgott: Some people say it's difficult to use her right, what's your opinion?
Sharkbait: Every mage is difficult to use at first. I'd say it's 90% learning how to use a mage and 10% having a matching style/mindset for that mage in terms of getting really good with them. maybe even as far as 95/5. I have noticed that each mage tends to emphasize particular skills in mage wars. Certain mages will give you practice in using a lot of creatures, others how to kite/avoid damage without armor, others how to control a battlefield, etc. Sometimes the same mage can teach multiple skills depending on the build a person tries to run.  The people who have trouble with the Adramelech Warlock probably haven't practiced the skills that emphasize the strengths of the mage (which I consider to be a high damage burst and some nice supporting skills geared towards Damage over time (burns) and healing the creatures she runs (Demonic reward))

Schwenkgott: You already lost against two wizards and one druid during the tournaments. What are things you plan on doing better in future builds with the Adramelech Warlock?
Sharkbait: Druid - That mage is super tough to kill if you don't find a way to stop them from healing. They're like little cockroaches, they just don't die. Luckily, a well timed deathlock can be tough to deal with for them.
Ugh, wizards. I think my biggest problem with wizards is that I don't play against the style that has beaten me a bunch lately often enough. Every build has a weakness, and I have a few ideas of where I could have played better to use for next time. Among them, setup time with loading more burns and keeping the burns on the enemy mage while dealing with the threats that will swing the match in favor of the other mage are things I'm trying to incorporate better into my plan. It worked well against Arx, didn't work so well against Mystery. Once I start reviewing, I'll have to figure out where the holes are and plug them. I know my creature play was a bit on the weaker side too, so I'll have to practice that a lot coming up.

Schwenkgott: Now for the real question: Is it even possible to get on par with a Wizard by using the Adramelech Warlock?
Sharkbait: Yes. I honestly believe my Adramelech Warlock wasn't beaten by Wizards in those instances. I, playing my Adramelech Warlock, was beaten by some REALLY good players who were playing wizards. Any mage, when properly playing to their strengths, can beat any other mage. It's just a matter of finding and maximizing your strengths while minimizing your weaknesses/opponent's strengths.

Schwenkgott: I hope to see you back in the Arena in the next Thunderdome! Without spoiling too much: Will you bring back the Adramelch Warlock?
Sharkbait: I'll definitely be back for the next one and I'm already looking forward to it.
When in doubt, kill it with fire.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 02:39:15 PM by Schwenkgott »
Akiro, I have never prayed to you before. No one will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we fought, or why we died. All that matters is that one stood against many. That's what's important! Valor pleases you, Akiro... so grant me strength! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!

BigL16

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2015, 02:00:12 PM »
Great interview!  Keep them coming :)

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2015, 02:01:51 PM »
Schwen, you're amazing, sir.

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2015, 09:23:54 AM »
Great read! Look forward to more of them!
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Schwenkgott

• Thunderdome
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2015, 04:19:43 AM »
Interview with Keejchen

Achievements in the Thunderdome series so far:
Winner of first Octgn Tournament
Ro4 (third round) lost against gw in the Thunderdome I. tournament
Ro2 (third round) lost against Charmyna in the Thunderdome II. tournament

Schwenkgott: Congratulations on reaching the european finals of Thunderdome II.! You always do really well in Octgn tournaments. Did you expect to get that far this time?
Keejchen: Honestly, at the start of the of this Thunderdome my hopes were not high. First of all, when I saw the brackets for this tournament, I noticed more of the good MW players (known to me), were in this time around, including of course Charmyna. As I suspected Juli had brought his necromancer, which my own necromancer would have had a hard time against.
I realized a lot of things about my deck only after submitting it, it has some significant weaknesses that I did not account for during creation. I was actually really happy when Coshade announced that we were able to change our decks, and just as sad when the first game suddenly started while I was working on my other submission. As a side note I would wish for a more precise game schedule for the next tournament.
Rigorous training with my local gaming buddy (known on octgn as Biblofilter) is the main reason i got so far in this tournament. You guys are lucky that he is not participating online tournaments, he is a fierce and efficient opponent!

Schwenkgott: You stand out by using unusual decks, I used to call them exotic. Where does your inspiration come from to build those books? Your Elemental Wizard was really successful, why did you switch to the Necromancer this time?
Keejchen: I will be answering these questions together.
I am happy that you appreciate my work! I love Mage Wars, it is without a doubt my favorite game. The thing is I play it a lot, and I easily get bored of the same old decks and matchups. MW is awesome because of the variety it has, mixed with the full control you have over your deck, you can really make a lot of fun combinations.
I like to look at cards that are labeled as bad and not often used, and coming up with combinations that will make them work. First Thunderdome it was the wizard's tome, then the earth elemental needed some love (and some elemental friends!), and this time around I wanted to create an unending army by reanimating my own creatures with an animate dead wand.
I am also a bit of a roleplayer by heart, and I like my decks to have thematics to them. Tournaments might not be the best place to test these theories, but I always get a little giddy when I'm on camera.

Schwenkgott: Looking back: Was it the right choice to switch the mage?
Keejchen: The rumor is going around that the wizard is stronger than the other mages, and I do agree with this to some degree. But even though wizard is strong (and probably my favorite mage), I think I would have been bored had I chosen him again. That said, the necromancer is also limited in variety so I will probably leave him alone for a while.

Schwenkgott: Many people play mainstream decks without too many surprises. Don't they push their creativity enough?
Keejchen: I believe players should play what decks they think are most fun! I get a kick out of building my own decks, and that might sometimes give me the advantage of surprise. On the other hand I think I often sacrifice efficiency for fun, which might be one of my biggest weaknesses. If you think using mainstream decks are fun, then play them, they are mainstream because they work. I have lost many games to new players who just used a deck they read about on the forum.

Schwenkgott: In a rematch versus Charmynas Tank Mage, how would you try to break through his defenses?
Keejchen: Well, I have played Charmyna before, but this was my first time seeing and playing against the blasting banker, though I had heard of the deck before. Biblofilter, mentioned above, is a big fan of Charmyna and warned me about it.
Usually I would say that no deck is better than any other well thought out deck, but Charmynas deck might be an exception. Saying the deck is unbeatable would be wrong, a deck is only as strong as the player who wields it. That being said though, the blasting banker touches upon a weak spot in every MW deck, that is the 120 spelbook point limit. From what I have seen in this tournament, whether intentional or not, the banker is built to outlast any opponent by armoring up while denying them the damage output they need to kill the mage, and using wands to keep casting spells. By doing so the banker will always win against any deck not built to overcome this kind of defensive play, or at least achieve a draw in the case where the opponent plays equally defensive.
While beating it is not impossible (I hope!), I think in the future I would likely test my competitive decks against it as a benchmark of sorts. "Is this deck strong enough to kill the blasting banker in the hands of a skilled player?" I always say the best way to test a car is to run it into a wall. It would be interesting to see someone make a benchmark list such as this.

Schwenkgott: I hope to see you again it the arena during the next Thunderdome. Without spoiling too much: Do you already keep an eye on a certain mage?
Keejchen: Of course I will participate! I love playing MW, but I also love seeing all the other cool matches being played out. And I love when players give their best, as we have certainly seen in this tournament.
As far as my next mage, it is impossible to tell at the moment. The meta will change a lot in the coming months with the new expansions coming out. Maybe paladin though!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 04:26:01 AM by Schwenkgott »

Mystery

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2016, 07:10:29 AM »
somehow that had been lost in the end :D