May 05, 2024, 06:04:58 AM

Author Topic: Beastmaster's Quick Summoning and Jinx  (Read 3782 times)

Schwenkgott

• Thunderdome
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Beastmaster's Quick Summoning and Jinx
« on: April 10, 2015, 12:51:03 PM »
Watching the Arcane Duels episode and thinking about ways to prevent the Beastmaster building up his army, a question came up.
Will the Quick Summoning Ability (LvL 1 Animal as Quick Cast) trigger Jinx?

Once per round, the beastmaster may summon a LvL 1 animal creature as a quick spell."

If the Beastmaster stands still upon summoning and uses his Full Action, he might say: Thats a Full Cast, so no Jinx possible.
But what would happen, if he moves first (Full Action) or uses his Quick Cast Marker for it?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 12:53:25 PM by Schwenkgott »
Akiro, I have never prayed to you before. No one will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we fought, or why we died. All that matters is that one stood against many. That's what's important! Valor pleases you, Akiro... so grant me strength! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Re: Beastmaster's Quick Summoning and Jinx
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2015, 01:16:03 PM »
Then the creature gets countered by jinx. Why on earth wouldn't it be? When the beastmaster uses quick summoning it's a quick spell to summon a level 1 animal.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Puddnhead

• Member of Arcane Duels; MageCast Co-host
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2015, 03:38:14 PM »
I would argue against that.  It seems to me that Jinx is looking at the icon on the spell card in question.  Would Jinx be able to counter Arcane Zap or Force Pull?  Or perhaps the spell swap on a Mage Wand?

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2015, 03:53:27 PM »
This is a good question!

I'm really in the middle on which way to go. I'm leaning more toward it not countering. Sailor Vulcan and Puddnhead both gave valid reasons though.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2015, 05:56:27 PM »
[mwcard=MW1E23]Jinx[/mwcard] works against any Quick Spell, including Arcane Zap, Force Pull, the swap on Mage Wand, and any animals summoned with Quick Summon. The only thing that Jinx looks at is whether or not the Creature is casting a Quick Spell. That's what it says on the card in plain English and that's what it means.

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2015, 09:29:29 PM »
Wow! That changes how I look at Jinx quite a bit. Thanks Zuberi!
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Puddnhead

• Member of Arcane Duels; MageCast Co-host
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2015, 09:42:58 PM »
The text on the spell could be interpreted exactly as you say, Zuberi, and I would not be surprised to have another extremely powerful arcane spell.

However, I would like to point out that the "plain English" of the card specifically references putting the spell back in its owner's spellbook which led to me to wonder whether it was referencing and could only target a creature casting spell "cards".

I see now that I have more reasons to hate wizards.  Not that I needed to add another check mark to that list...

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2015, 12:15:03 AM »
I would like to apologize a little for the tone of my last post. I feel like I was a bit abrasive and possibly rude. Now that I have a bit more time available to respond, let me cite some sources to clarify my answer.

First, I think it's important to note that spell cards do not list any place on them whether or not they are a Quick Spell. The icon you are referencing, I'm assuming, is actually the Quick Action icon, denoting that the spell typically requires a Quick Action to cast. This is a subtle but important distinction to make, as the definition of a Quick Spell is any spell which is cast using a Quick Action.

This means that normally spells with the Quick Action icon are Quick Spells and spells with the Full Action icon are not, but I hope you can now see why this is not always the case such as with a Beastmaster using the Quick Summon ability. Other abilities, such as Arcane Zap and Force Pull, are then specifically listed as Quick Spells so that there can be no ambiguity over how they should be treated with regards to the rules.

More important than this distinction though, and really the only thing that needed to be stated, is that on page 39 of the Official Rules and Codex Supplement it specifically states that any ability that is performed as a Quick Spell will be affected by Jinx.

I hope that helps a little more than my previous comment.

jhaelen

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2015, 07:46:18 AM »
Jinx is awesome. It helped me to achieve my fastest victory to date. It's a must-include spell, imho.