May 05, 2024, 08:28:46 AM

Author Topic: Bim-Shalla and Poisoned Blood  (Read 7848 times)

Schwenkgott

• Thunderdome
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Bim-Shalla and Poisoned Blood
« on: September 08, 2014, 03:07:35 PM »
Mage A wants to heal himself with Bim-Shalla. Mage B has a hidden Poisoned Blood on Mage A and reveals it, after Mage A declares his action.

Is the healing going through or prevented? Or otherwise: Does the healing from Bim-Shalla separated in two phases like Declare and Resolve?
Akiro, I have never prayed to you before. No one will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we fought, or why we died. All that matters is that one stood against many. That's what's important! Valor pleases you, Akiro... so grant me strength! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
Re: Bim-Shalla and Poisoned Blood
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 03:17:53 PM »
I don't think there is a counter-spell step involved here. You are able to take this action before or after a friendly creatures action phase and if I am not mistaken it happens once you activate it.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 04:01:54 PM »
it is not possible to reveal poisoned blood to stop the healing unless it was already revealed before the owner of HoB decides to turn its ready marker and heal with it.

Schwenkgott

• Thunderdome
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 04:05:29 PM »
Ok. I was right then.
Akiro, I have never prayed to you before. No one will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we fought, or why we died. All that matters is that one stood against many. That's what's important! Valor pleases you, Akiro... so grant me strength! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 04:22:44 PM »
Another nice trick to bypass a facedown poisoned blood is to cast healing charm.

When you reveal you will resolve it entirely before he can reveal poisoned blood.

Schwenkgott

• Thunderdome
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2014, 12:18:59 AM »
Good Point!

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2014, 06:25:48 AM »
Another nice trick to bypass a facedown poisoned blood is to cast healing charm.

When you reveal you will resolve it entirely before he can reveal poisoned blood.

Unless he has initiative and want to reveal before you guessing you want to reveal a healing charm

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2014, 07:13:46 AM »

Unless he has initiative and want to reveal before you guessing you want to reveal a healing charm

Doesnt matter if he has initiative or not.

He can reveal with or without before the resolve step (step 3) of casting the enchantment face-down. The thing is... After you casted and gave him time to reveal (and assuming he doesnt reveal) than you can do it, and he can only watch while you hopefully get a good roll.

Wildhorn

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2014, 08:28:14 AM »

Doesnt matter if he has initiative or not.

He can reveal with or without before the resolve step (step 3) of casting the enchantment face-down. The thing is... After you casted and gave him time to reveal (and assuming he doesnt reveal) than you can do it, and he can only watch while you hopefully get a good roll.

It does matter. If both players have a facedown enchantment and want to reveal at the sametime, it is whoever has initiative that goes first.

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2014, 08:34:23 AM »
While your reference to the rules is correct, you are wrong in this situation.

It does not matter if he has initiative or not. Its a matter of him putting is money on your facedown being a heal or not.

If he choose to be on the safe side and reveal before the facedown cast is resolved - then he can do so with or without initiative.

Lets not nitpick where its not needed.

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2014, 11:33:31 AM »
When you cast the Healing Charm, he can choose to reveal the Poison Blood during the spell casting steps before learning what it is you have cast. They may also reveal Poison Blood after you have finished casting but before you declare a desire to reveal your spell, of course.

Then sometime after that you declare that you wish to reveal your enchantment. If your opponent has initiative, they may interrupt you by saying they also wish to reveal an enchantment before yours has been revealed. In which case, they may also reveal Poison Blood before learning that you have a Healing Charm in place. If they do, you do not have to reveal your Healing Charm. You may state that you've changed your mind and keep it face down.

Once you do reveal Healing Charm, if they have not already revealed Poison Blood, you immediately gain the benefit of your spell and they do not get a chance to respond to it before it takes effect.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2014, 11:52:37 AM »
When you cast the Healing Charm, he can choose to reveal the Poison Blood during the spell casting steps before learning what it is you have cast. They may also reveal Poison Blood after you have finished casting but before you declare a desire to reveal your spell, of course.

Then sometime after that you declare that you wish to reveal your enchantment. If your opponent has initiative, they may interrupt you by saying they also wish to reveal an enchantment before yours has been revealed. In face down.
which case, they may also reveal Poison Blood before learning that you have a Healing Charm in place. If they do, you do not have to reveal your Healing Charm. You may state that you've changed your mind and keep it
Once you do reveal Healing Charm, if they have not already revealed Poison Blood, you immediately gain the benefit of your spell and they do not get a chance to respond to it before it takes effect.
Where is this at in the rules?

Wildhorn

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2014, 11:58:04 AM »
It has been discussed and ruled on the forum. Probably in the faq too.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2014, 12:24:43 PM »
It has been discussed and ruled on the forum. Probably in the faq too.
Wow missed that along the way. I understand that initiative goes first, but didn't understand that you could use it to interrupt a reveal of an Enchantment.

If I understand the scenario correctly, so we finish up my creatures action phase my opponent has initiative. He is sitting there thinking and decides to reveal a Bear Strength on a creature of his before he activates it. I then say I wish to reveal a Enchantment on my creature. I now have to wait to see if he wants to reveal his hidden enchantment on the same creature because he has initiative?

Really? Shakes head.....

Wildhorn

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2014, 12:38:53 PM »
Yes, theorically, playing "by the book" it would be required to ask at every single step/phase if he wants to reveal something.