May 05, 2024, 12:46:08 PM

Author Topic: Pacify in the Rules Supplement  (Read 5925 times)

Schwenkgott

• Thunderdome
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Pacify in the Rules Supplement
« on: August 28, 2014, 05:18:57 AM »
[mwcard=MW1E30]Pacify[/mwcard]
The payment of 2 mana is part of the cost of making the attack. Thus, you cannot declare the attack if you don't have the 2 mana to pay.

You cannot reveal Pacify “in response” to the declaration of an attack in order to force the opponent to pay 2 extra mana. Pacify can be revealed before the Declare Attack Step, or after it, but not during it. (Once an attack is declared, the earliest opportunity you could reveal Pacify is at the end of the Declare Attack Step, which is after costs are calculated and paid.)

Pacify will work against spell attacks. On a spell attack, since the attack is actually made when the spell resolves, the additional 2 mana is paid when the spell resolves. (For example, if a Familiar is casting an attack spell, his opponent could reveal a Pacify at the end of the Counter Spell Step. During the Resolve Spell Step, the spell would resolve and the attack sequence begins, at which point the Familiar’s controller would have to pay 2 mana if able; if not, then the attack would not happen and the spell would be wasted.)

______

Somehow i cannot follow this.
If a Creature declares a melee attack, it's too late to reveal Pacify, because the Declare Attack Step has passed.
What is different with a spell from a familiar? The first step when casting a spell is a declaration step too. Why would revealing [mwcard=MW1E30]Pacify[/mwcard] after this step do any good? The Resolve Spell step is obviously after the Declare attack step.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 05:20:59 AM by Schwenkgott »
Akiro, I have never prayed to you before. No one will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we fought, or why we died. All that matters is that one stood against many. That's what's important! Valor pleases you, Akiro... so grant me strength! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
Re: Pacify in the Rules Supplement
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 06:29:29 AM »
Pacify cannot be revealed during a step like almost all enchantments.
(the exceptions being Nullify and block amongst others)

As soon as a creature declare an attack we are in step 1 of the attack sequence. Its during step 1 pacify effect takes place.
You only get to reveal pacify between step 1 and 2, thus its too late for pacify to take effect.

When you cast an attack spell you are not declaring the attack until after the step 3 in the spell cast sequence.
So basicly you have time to reveal inbetween the spell casting steps BEFORE the attack is declared.

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 06:31:09 AM »
Because attack spell is both a spell and an attack. So you have first to go throu all spell casting steps, which allow you to reveal Pacify before the attack part.

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 08:01:33 AM »
Pacify can target only non mage creature... hmm.. so Warlocks familiar Sersyryx could be dealt this way...
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

Schwenkgott

• Thunderdome
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 09:26:41 AM »
When you cast an attack spell you are not declaring the attack until after the step 3 in the spell cast sequence.
So basicly you have time to reveal inbetween the spell casting steps BEFORE the attack is declared.

That makes no sense to me. In the cast sequence from Attack Spells, the first step is Cast Spell step.

From the rulesbook: Cast Spell Step 1
<Announce that you are casting a spell and what the target
will be. You may only choose a target that matches the
target requirements listed in the casting line. Some spells
will target a zone on the game board. Other spells will target
a single object.>

This is exactly the same as the declare attack step from a melee attack: That attack and the target are named. After what you've said here, I would have to say twice, what i want to cast and who my target is.
Akiro, I have never prayed to you before. No one will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we fought, or why we died. All that matters is that one stood against many. That's what's important! Valor pleases you, Akiro... so grant me strength! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!

Bluebaron

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 09:39:59 AM »
The attack order has no counter attack phase. Whereas the spell order has a counter spell phase. Compare last page of the rulebook.

BoomFrog

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2014, 09:41:00 AM »
It's true, you technically declare your target of a fireball twice, once as the target of a spell and the as the target of the attack generated by that spell. This is necessary because some spells like a zone attack or chain lightning will actually need to declare attack targets. A side effect is this weird opportunity for surprise pacify on a familiar.

Wildhorn

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2014, 09:41:12 AM »
No you do not say twice what you cast and target.

You cast the attack spell. Then when the spell resolve it makes an attack on the target.

Because you have to go hrou all Spell Casting steps, it give you time to reveal Pacify beofre the Declare Attack step arrives.

Schwenkgott

• Thunderdome
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2014, 09:44:37 AM »
But the Declare Attack Step is not necessary, because i already told in the Cast Spell Step 1 what spell i want to cast and who my target will be! That counts as well for Zone or Sweeping attacks.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 09:46:27 AM by Schwenkgott »

Wildhorn

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2014, 10:06:34 AM »
But the Declare Attack Step is not necessary, because i already told in the Cast Spell Step 1 what spell i want to cast and who my target will be! That counts as well for Zone or Sweeping attacks.

You don't get it.

Casting a spell and Attacking are 2 different thing. A spell attack are both of these things.

A spell that create an attack. But you have to go throu both process and all steps of both process. So yes you need to do Step 1 of the attack which is Declare Attack.

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2014, 10:12:37 AM »
Casting spell - any kind, from enchantement to attack to incantation

1. Cast spell
2. Counter spell
3. Resolve spell

after you get trough these steps, an attack is a result of that spell. That attack MUST get trought each attack phase as any other attack in the game.

1. Declare
2. Avoid
3. Roll dice
4. Apply dmg and effects
5. Additional strikes
6. Dmg barrier
7. Counterstrike
8. Attack Ends

You reveal pacify during CASTING step number 2. Mana was already paid for an attack spell, so if your opponent didnt have another two mana, he will not be able to realize attack, despite the fact, that a whole spell was successfuly casted and resolved.

Attack Spels grants its caster an attack, which will dissaper after usage. One time usage attack bar.

And i will repeat it again. Pacify can target only non-mage creatures. This will only work on SerSyryx the Imp familiar.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 10:14:40 AM by Boocheck »
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2014, 10:28:39 AM »

During the Cast Spell Step, you declare who the target of your spell is. At this time, you are not yet making an attack and are just casting a spell. After the spell resolves, the effect is that it makes an attack. You then have to go through all of the steps for making an attack, including the Declare Attack Step. Because of how attack spells work, the only legal target would be the one you aimed the spell at, but you do still have to select your target

Schwenkgott

• Thunderdome
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2014, 10:45:11 AM »
Still makes no sense to me. Sounds to me like a glitch in the rules, that should not have been made when composing the rule set.
But hey, i can live with that. Never occured to me anyway.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 10:47:04 AM by Schwenkgott »

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2014, 11:30:27 AM »
Still makes no sense to me. Sounds to me like a glitch in the rules, that should not have been made when composing the rule set.
But hey, i can live with that. Never occured to me anyway.
Since the Attack Spell is a Spell there is a Counter Spell step. However, regular Attacks do not have a Counter Attack step and therefore there is no chance to reveal Enchantments (like Eagle Wings).
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2014, 05:16:00 PM »
The first thing is to declare the activation of the creature and turn the marker face down.
Then you chose the type of action the creature is taking
Attack, Cast, Guard, Move
Between each step any player may reveal encahntments.
If attack or Cast are choosen we then would use the next two sections below.

Casting spell - any kind, from enchantement to attack to incantation

1. Cast spell
2. Counter spell
3. Resolve spell

after you get trough these steps, an attack is a result of that spell. That attack MUST get trought each attack phase as any other attack in the game.

1. Declare
2. Avoid
3. Roll dice
4. Apply dmg and effects
5. Additional strikes
6. Dmg barrier
7. Counterstrike
8. Attack Ends
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 05:17:32 PM by Shad0w »
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage