May 05, 2024, 06:17:07 AM

Author Topic: Battlereport 2vs2 Priestress/Warlord vs Druid/Forcemaster  (Read 5109 times)

Schwenkgott

• Thunderdome
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Battlereport 2vs2 Priestress/Warlord vs Druid/Forcemaster
« on: May 25, 2014, 02:23:27 PM »
Hi guys,

i just want to use this post to tell you about a very epic 2vs2 game we played on Octgn last night.
Murphy and me played the warlord and the priestress against Johansson and Henry_Ketchup with the Druid and the Forcemaster.
I dont know exactly what the spellbooks of our opponent looked like, our spellbooks were focused on 1on1 games and there were hardly any synergy.
We played with our own 2vs2 Ruleset, that i have mentioned before in other posts (shared life, team initiative, no teleport on enemy mages).
My Team had 53 shared life, the other team had 51 shared life (with treebond)
The gameboard we played on was the 4x5 zones Forest Map.

Round 1 (Initiative Priestress/Warlord)
We had in mind to stay defensive until we have enough creatures to push through.  So we did set up our spawnpoints. My soldiers should profit from Warlords Battle commands and incantations with the Horn of Gothos.
Priestress
I played a Temple of Asyra at our side and a Cleric to fill it with Mana.
Warlord
Murphy played a Barracks in the corner, while moving 1 and placing a Garrison Post.
Druid
Jonhansson spawned a Druids Leaf Ring for his Mage and a Vine Tree with lifebond in the corner.
Forcemaster
The Forcemaster played a defensive Forge and a Thoughtspore.
At this point a was anticipating a Wall of Thornes & Push attack.

Round 2 (Initiative Druid/Forcemaster)
Priestress
I buffed my Temple of Asyra with a Harmonize and equipped a Enchanters Ring. My Cleric send Mana to the Temple.
Warlord
Murphy spawned two Goblin Builders (to himself and to Garrison Post) and a Meditation Amulet for his Mage.
Forcemaster
Henry  surprised us by placing a Suppression Orb to his corner, not easy to reach for us. After this quickcast, he used his Thoughtspore to teleport to zones in our direction (1 zone away from Garrison Post) and guarded there.
Druid
He spawned his Pixxi Fellella and hidden enchanted his Forcemaster buddy before he teleported to the front.
The Suppression Orb definitely brought us some problems here. We could spawn a lot of creatures of course, but while moving, we would waste a lot of mana. But to get rid of this nasty Orb, we had to move our creatures closer. Not a good start for us. Only option is play more defensive and try not to use to many move actions. But little did we know … the would of pain would come to us…

Round 3 (Initiative Priestress/Warlord)
Priestress
My Temple spawned the first Royal Archer to get some board control. To use the Enchanters Ring I placed a hidden Regrowth on my mage for the trouble ahead and spawned a second Cleric.
Warlord
Murphy meditated for some mana and placed a Wall of Pikes between his Garrison Post and the enemy Forcemaster to give us more time.
Druid
The Tree spawned a Vine Snapper in his own zone. Fellella started with a hidden zone enchantment to a zone, that is 2 zones away from the Vine Tree. That could have been anything, I said to me and spend no further brain activity to this. No dangerous to us, so we ignored it. The druid used his Meditation ability and spawned a Enchanters Wardstone.
Forcemaster
With the hidden Bear Strenght revealed, he attack the Wall of Pikes with melee attack and his freshly spawned Dancing Scimitar, but failed to destroy it. Finally he spawned a Force Ring with his Quick Cast.
At this point, we did not worry about the Forcemaster at all. Even with enchantments, we were sure to handle him very easy with our spawned creatures if he should attack our domain.

Round 4 (Initiative Druid/Forcemaster)
Priestress
With enough mana on my Temple, I summoned the one and only Joseph Trublood, High Cleric and Defender of the Rightous  to heal our troops. Additionally I equipped my mage with a Mage Wand (with bound Spell Heal) and a hidden enchant (Rhino Hide).
Forcemaster
The forcemaster, now equipped with Galvatar Force Blade, pulled a Goblin Builder, that tried to flank him in order to charge the suppression orb, to his zone and sweeping striked the goblin and the Wall of Pikes successfully. Both went down.
Warlord
Murphy brought ranged power to the board by summoning a Goblin Slinger to the Garrison Post and meditated over this brilliant move . After the first Goblin builder was killed, he moved the second one to the Forcemasters zone and guarded. I wasn’t exactly sure, what plan was behind it.
Druid
The Druid repeated his last move: A second Vine Snapper in the Vine Tree zone (well protected Tree), a meditation and a second hidden Zone Enchant from Fellella, this time, closer to us.

Round 5 (Initiative Priestress/Warlord)
Now it gets very nasty… the Damocles sword appeared over our heads.
Warlord
Murphy did not spawn anything and used his mana to Force Push his Goblin Builder from the Forcemasters Zone to the enemy lines. Right after that he placed another Garrison Post very close to the Suppression Orb. Good move, we should be able to attack and destroy it without paying to many mana. But the excitement would not be there for long.
Druid
He spawned a third Vine Snapper in the Tree Zone. Fellella moved first and placed a third hidden enchantment, 1 zone away from our Mages. Fortified Position to cover the charge of the Forcemaster? The Druid meditated later.
Forcemaster
Now the problems started: Using his quickcast right after Fellellas action, Henry Force Pulled the Warlord to him, Murphys brave warrior ended up in a zone with one of these hidden enchantments from Fellella. I hammered my head to my keyboard and cursed me for not seeing it. The enchantment was revealed: Teleport Trap. The Warlord was teleported in the direction of the Vine Tree, right in another hidden enchantment, Teleport Trap again. After the third Teleport Trap, the Warlord, that had already used his move action for meditation, stood in the Corner Zone with all the Vine Snappers, ready to eat him. With a quickcast Rouse of the Beast from the Druid, the Warlord faced a 15 dice attack from three Vine Snappers.

Priestress
I equipped my Mage with a Ring of Asyra and had a Dispel prepared for a Forcemaster Enchant, but I decided not to use it, because Murphy was in deep trouble. Although Joseph Trublood was healing me (Shared life), the Round was not exactly good for us. After the attack from the Vine Snappers, we were at 14 damage.

Round 6 (Initiative Druid/Forcemaster)
Our initiative, great thing. What can you expect from the enemy if your Mage is placed in such a tough spot? Tanglevine! What helps against Tanglevine? Teleport! But there is one problem, right Murphy?! :D His super Warlord deck has neither Teleport, not any other Arcane stuff (arg!). Why bring Teleport, if you cannot use it against enemy mages … Ok, so we have to deal with the problem otherwise ….
Druid
Of course, there is the Tanglevine. Warlord will stay a while to play with the Vine Snappers. After that he equipped his mage with Eagleclaw Boots and Force Pushed a Goblin somewhere, but that was not important.
Forcemaster
The Forge equipped the Forcemaster with a Dragonscale Hauberk and he played two hidden enchantments on my Priestress.
Priestress
With Murphy unable to Teleport out himself, it was my turn to help him. At this moment a was  4 zones away and hindered by Vine Markers. I spawned a second Royal Archer with my Temple and tried to move in the direction of the Warlord. Hidden enchantment was revealed: Force Hold, so no movement for me. I had a Teleport prepared, but the second hidden enchant could have been Nullify or Jinx, so I played first Temple of Bim Shalla to check for Jinx. The Placement was successful, no jinx on me. The Nullify danger remained, I used my teleport to bring one Royal Archer to the front. She attacked the Thought Spore together with a slinger, but they failed. One teleport spell left in my deck, and it had to be used on the Warlord to save him from his misery.
Warlord
Murphy tried his best to stay alive. He summoned a Dwarf Panzerguard to the Warlords zone and a Goblin Grund to the new outpost near the Suppression Orb. After the Snappers snapped and the Clerics healed, we ended up with 24 Dmg this Round. Could have been worse…

Round 7 (Initiative Priestress/Warlord)
The problem was clear. I had to get to the Warlord to teleport him out. But with Force Hold (Enchanters Wardstone) I could not reach this goal without paying a price. On top of that, when I spend my mana to dispel, I cannot use it for Heal. But the situation brought us something good too: The Forcemaster had to pay lots of upkeep. In my brain another plan formed: I could teleport a Guardian Angel via Divine Intervention to the Warlord. With his summoned creatures, we might be able to kill the Snappers and the Tree. In the end, it was a very bad plan ….
Priestress
I summoned the Guardian Angel and healed us with Healing Charm. No Nullify on me revealed. 
Forcemaster
Henry used his sweeping attack against a Goblin Builder and a Slinger, the Slinger survived.
Warlord
The first Slinger cought the Thought Spore off guard and killed it. The lucky second Slinger attack the Druid, a Goblin Grunt managed to pass by the Deflect of the Forcemaster. 5 Damage, not a bad start of the counter offensive.  Meanwhile, the Panzerguard tried to keep master safe and took some damage. According to our plan, Murphy summoned some more manpower in his zone: Orc Butcher.
Druid
The Druid and his Pixxi Fellella used enchants on two Vine Snappers to make their attacks unavoidable, probably to deal with any Creatures and their defenses. The Snappers focused this round on the Panzerguard to bring him down, but with no success. He survived with half of his hitpoints (like a Boss!). After healing with the three clerics and after casting the healing charm, our damage was down to 15. We actually thought our plan with the offensive in the Vine Tree zone would work.

Round 8 (Initiative Druid/Forcemaster)
Forcemaster
Henry equipped his mage with the Gauntlets of Strength  via his Battle Forge, teleported himself in the direction of the poor Warlord and charged him with the Mongoose Agility from Fellella. The Warlord now facing the three Vine Snappers and the full equipped, full buffed melee Monster of Forcemaster.
Druid
Right after that, the Druid used his Quickcast to place 2 Bloodspine Walls around the Vine Tree zone, so it’s a cage, where escaping hurts you a lot. Additionally he used Surge Wave on the Orc Butcher Guard.
Warlord
Murphy ordered his forces to be On Guard. The Panzerguard was killed by a very lucky hit from a Vine Snapper, the Orc Butcher took some Damage, but the Warlord received a pretty good hit from the Forcemaster. A Goblin Grunt was added to his forces, he spawned at the frontline Garrison Post and a Dwarfen Kriegsbiel to his own zone as a body guard. His forces attacked the lonely Druid this round with a Slingshot attack.
Priestress
I spawned a Knight of Westlock and enchanted him with hidden Bear Strength. As a first step to bring help to the Warlord, I used my Action for a Seeking Dispel on the hidden enchant, that was still on my mage. I was very angry with myself when I found out It was only a Decoy. Well played Forcemaster!  In this situation I realized that the Suppression Orb was still the main problem. To destroy it, I planned on sending the Bear Strength Knight with Divine Intervention next Round.
After the healing actions from the clerics, it looked like this:
Team Priestress/Warlord    -> 34 Dmg/54 Life
Team Druid/Forcemaster   -> 13 Dmg/51 Life
Not a good situation for us. In the next round, there will be lots of damage to the Warlords zone (Double Strike from Forcemaster and three Vine Snappers)

Round 9 (Initiative Priestress/Warlord)
I was slowly losing my hope. The damage was to high to deal with. I expected this to be the last round. Simply because Murphy could not summon creatures as fast as the damage came in and I was not able to heal and come to rescue at the same time.
Warlord
Murphy finally enchanted his zone with Fortified Position to keep his two guards safe (or safer than before). His Garrison Post near the Suppression Orb spawned a Goblin Slinger. The rest of the forces attacked the Suppression Orb and managed to get some good hits on it. But it was still active.
Forcemaster
Henry surprised us with a Repulse. The Orc Butcher was pushed through the Bloodspine Wall to the Druids Zone, but he survived. The Kriegsbiel was pushed against the Wall, nothing a good armor cannot handle.  The double strike and the Scimitar attack at the Warlord hit us with naughty 10 critical Damage.
Druid
First, of course … the Vine Snappers. This round they snapped with 10 Damage total through the Armor. It started to look very grim for the Warlord. The Druid meditated for Mana, but received a good hit from the Orc Butcher.
Priestress
Ok, the only thing, that kept us in the game were the Clerics. I had finally the possibility to get rid of the Force Hold enchantment. With the new freedom, I moved 1 zone closer to my Warlord friend and destroyed a vine marker. Mana for next all or nothing turn is essential.
Team Priestress/Warlord    -> 48 Dmg/54 Life
Team Druid/Forcemaster   -> 19 Dmg/51 Life

Round 10 (Initiative Druid/Forcemaster)
Forcemaster
Henry spawned a Dragonscale Hauberk with his Forge for his Druid buddy, just to play safe, I suppose. After that he used his quickcast to hidden enchant the Warlord.
Warlord
A teleport to safe haven is only possible of there is no nullify on the Warlord. With no Seeking Dispel in his deck, Murphy had to use Retaliate, his only enchant left, on himself to trigger that nullify eventually. And it did.
Druid
Johansson spend his quickcast to hidden enchant the Warlord again, probably a second nullify.
Forcemaster
I now all comes down to this double strike with scimitar attack from the Melee Monster 
First strike 7 dice   -> 3 Dmg    ->   49/54  (we regenerated 2 at Upkeep Phase)
Second strike 4 dice   -> 2 Dmg   -> 51/54
Scimitar attack 3 dice  -> 2 Dmg   -> 53/54!!!
It was so fucking close, I was thanking the dice gods in this very moment.
Priestress
The big moment: I moved in range and used my action for a Healing Charm on the Warlord. Nullify was triggered, the spell countered. Now, with no Nullifies left on the Warlord, I used the Teleport on him to bring the boy home.
Druid
The druid had his own Teleport ready, but he could not use it on my Priestress (no teleport on enemy mages), so he decided to send a Vine Snapper in my zone. Before the plant could attack, we were able to move a near Royal Archer to guard me against the attack. Safe for the moment. 
The rest of this round was the total opposite from the game before. We began to strike back. The Druid received some hits from the Orc Butcher and the Kriegsbiel, the teleported Vine Snapper was killed by Royal Archer, Slinger and Warlord and the Suppression Orb took good hits too (with little Daggers).
Team Priestress/Warlord    -> 48 Dmg/54 Life
Team Druid/Forcemaster   -> 27 Dmg/51 Life

Round 11 (Initiative Priestress/Warlord)
There was still a problem. The Forcemaster in 2 zones distance of Priestress and Warlord. With Force Pull and Force Push, we could have ended in the same situation as before. That had to be prevented. Good that it was our initiative
Priestress
I played two Wall of Thornes to block the line of sight between us and the enemy mages. Henry used his prepared Force Hammer on one of these Walls and destroyed it. Line of sight possible again. But murphy had a Stone Wall prepared and could close the Blocking Wall again.
Druid
The Druid tried to get in range for an attack spell but was hindered by our creatures.  And suddenly he was the one standing in the middle of our troops, ready to be attacked. He used his Barskin to get some protection.
Warlord
Success comes when needed most. The Suppression Orb was destroyed and out creatures could move at no mana cost. As consequence everyone and everything charged the Druid and he took very good hits from it.
Forcemaster
Henry got a bloody scratch, when trying to jump over the Bloodspine Wall and closing in to where the action happened. But nothing was in his reach. Additionally the clerics did what the do best.
Team Priestress/Warlord    -> 42 Dmg/54 Life
Team Druid/Forcemaster   -> 38 Dmg/51 Life

Final Round (Initiative Druid/Forcemaster)
Priestress
We anticipated 4 attack spells this round, the Forcemaster was not in range to attack in melee and it seemed that they got no Teleport for him left. So I focused on keeping us alive this time and prepared two minor heals. Henry and Johansson decided not to quick cast, so I could use the first heal.
Team Priestress/Warlord    -> 36 Dmg/55 Life (with regeneration in Upkeep)
Forcemaster
Henry used the Forcemaster to charge in range and to cast a hidden enchantment 1 zone away from the Warlord. The quickcast pulled the Warlord in again, the revealed teleport trap beamed the Warlord to the other side of the walls, isolated from the rest. Again, not bad move. I like the use of teleport traps here.
Druid
Johansson used his last trump to cast 2 Hurl Bolders on the Warlord, 14 Dice for 19 Damage needed. But it was not enough. They only did 13 Damage. We had solid 6 Life left.
Priestress and Warlord
Our counterattack with all our troops was devastating. With the battle command Release Volley and the Horn of Gothos, our Rangers did a good amount of damage and we had still some creatures left. The killing blow came from Joseph Trublood with a 4 Dice Bim-Shalla Melee Attack :D

A very close and epic game. I hope you enjoyed!
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 10:37:40 AM by Schwenkgott »
Akiro, I have never prayed to you before. No one will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we fought, or why we died. All that matters is that one stood against many. That's what's important! Valor pleases you, Akiro... so grant me strength! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
Re: Battlereport 2vs2 Priestress/Warlord vs Druid/Forcemaster
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2014, 11:15:14 PM »
Nice writeup. I really need to try 2v2 again at some point now that I'm experienced enough to play quickly.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

YoungDave

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2014, 04:43:09 AM »
A very enjoyable read.  Thanks for taking the time to post it - that was some effort.

My group is still pretty much at the "learning" stage, but your cracking report might just be the catalyst to get us playing 4-player games. 

Top stuff.

Dave I

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 07:15:06 AM »
more more more.

Epic battle :)

Lord0fWinter

• Warden of the North
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
  • www.magewars.weebly.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2014, 10:01:00 AM »
Great write up! Thanks for taking the time to do it! And on top of that, it was an epic battle! I need to play a 2v2 sometime, never done it before but it seems like it'd be fun. How long did this match take?
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
Visit my Mage Wars blog at www.magewars.weebly.com, also check me out on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/MageWarsBlog and on twitter at @MageWarsBlog

juli

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2014, 10:07:01 AM »
@ LordofWinter

thats the thing.....

Not calculating in a 20 minute break for grabbing some food, it took 4,5 to 5 hours, depends if you calculate a few 2vs2 instructions to real game time ;)

Lord0fWinter

• Warden of the North
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
  • www.magewars.weebly.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2014, 10:13:23 AM »
@ LordofWinter

thats the thing.....

Not calculating in a 20 minute break for grabbing some food, it took 4,5 to 5 hours, depends if you calculate a few 2vs2 instructions to real game time ;)

I figured lol. It seems like it would be fun to do, but man that time investment is brutal. If the multiplayer variant takes this long when the official rules come out, they probably wouldn't be able to do it in tournaments, which is too bad. Unless there was like a 6 player free for all on a giant board where every other person went at once... hmm.

I wonder how Domination mode would work with a 2v2 where you share the control of power orbs with your partner. Would probably be really fun.
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
Visit my Mage Wars blog at www.magewars.weebly.com, also check me out on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/MageWarsBlog and on twitter at @MageWarsBlog

Schwenkgott

• Thunderdome
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2014, 10:27:04 AM »
We had a 2vs2 that lasted only 2 hours. Our spellbooks were bound together and we had a gameplan.

In the 5 hours game above, there was no gameplan and no spellbooks with big synergies. We just played and tried to keep alive. So i think you dont need that time investment in the most games.
Akiro, I have never prayed to you before. No one will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we fought, or why we died. All that matters is that one stood against many. That's what's important! Valor pleases you, Akiro... so grant me strength! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!

gw

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2014, 12:01:29 PM »
Sounds like it was fun  :)
OCTGN: gw (GMT+1 currently)