May 05, 2024, 03:06:25 PM

Author Topic: Online spell book builder?  (Read 428947 times)

Moonglow

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Re: Online spell book builder?
« Reply #105 on: August 26, 2013, 11:12:03 PM »
Yours is similar to Sean's on BGG http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/85710/mage-wars-deck-cost-calculator.

Looks like nice work.
I've been using Sean's in combination with OCTGN deckbuilder (for the image of the card and description).

It might just be that I'm a bit of a newbie, but I find that I need copies of the cards to build a deck, rather than being able to do it from memory.  Hell, sometimes I need to look at a card like 5 times in 5 minutes (is this ring better than that ring, better than this conjuration etc). 

So basically it would be nice to have the card image and effects integrated into the book builder; and this does seem like something pixel is working on.  Sounds like we're going to see something soonish.

If anyone would like to use my online spell book builder, you can access it at:

www.gameknight.org/MageWars

Please keep in mind that this was my personal spell book building tool and is probably not ideal for everyone. If enough people want to use it, I will add features to save and/or print spell books (possibly other changes, as suggested). I make no promises as to when I will update it, but it is functional at the moment for all of the standard/expansion game sets.

I had personally been using this tool since Gencon last year. I no longer play the game regularly. I originally wrote the program before the game was released, as I had been following them since Origins and Gencon the previous year. I spoke with multiple people at the AW booths last year and this year to offer the code to them for free, including updating to their needs for the initial page. They showed no interest at all, so it continued to be used only by me and a couple of friends.

Sorry if this is too late to do any good for anyone. I do not come to the forums often and did not realize that others may be looking for a similar tool.

Fyst

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 27, 2013, 08:17:01 PM »
So basically it would be nice to have the card image and effects integrated into the book builder; and this does seem like something pixel is working on.  Sounds like we're going to see something soonish.

Good suggestion.

Added images for all cards. Click spell name to pop them up.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 27, 2013, 08:22:40 PM »
Good suggestion.

Are you kidding me? Just like that bada bing! Color me impressed! Works on all of my browsers. Man! No one lit a fire under your butt?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 08:42:12 PM by sIKE »
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

reddawn

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 27, 2013, 08:40:29 PM »
If anyone would like to use my online spell book builder, you can access it at:

www.gameknight.org/MageWars

I spoke with multiple people at the AW booths last year and this year to offer the code to them for free, including updating to their needs for the initial page. They showed no interest at all, so it continued to be used only by me and a couple of friends.

Considering AW own tool is basically useless atm, and months after players have been requesting it, I don't understand their lack of interest.  Thanks for the resource!
  • Favourite Mage: Arraxian Crown Warlock

pixelgeek

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #109 on: August 27, 2013, 09:54:18 PM »
Considering AW own tool is basically useless atm, and months after players have been requesting it, I don't understand their lack of interest.

Probably because AW is developing a new version of the spellbook builder.
  • Favourite Mage: Adramelech Warlock
Arcane Wonders Web Guy
Problem with the forums or website?

Send me a PM

Words to live by: I commit strongly to defending my wand.   Precisely so that I don't lose it.

reddawn

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 27, 2013, 10:32:02 PM »
Considering AW own tool is basically useless atm, and months after players have been requesting it, I don't understand their lack of interest.

Probably because AW is developing a new version of the spellbook builder.

I realize that comment is harsher than I thought.  I know you're working on it, I'm just impatient.  AW's position is making things perfect before they release them, but I guess it's been a while since I've seen the demand for one is all.   :-\
  • Favourite Mage: Arraxian Crown Warlock

Moonglow

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 27, 2013, 11:38:43 PM »
Wow that's pretty responsive, cheers! :)

Do you have any output options?  I haven't played with it much, but I was going to have a look this weekend at whether I can can create a text file to import into the OCTGN deckbuilder. 

Any thoughts?

Good suggestion.

chameleo

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 29, 2013, 05:37:02 AM »
Wow Fyst, it's great! Thank you!

Nihilistiskism

• Master Debater
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 03, 2013, 10:03:30 PM »
As an aside:

It's utterly pathetic...cringeworthy, even, that Arcane Wonders has not produced an online spellbook builder in some capacity for their official website.

It's been over a YEAR.

-nihil
Take a shower, don't talk like a junior high dropout, and stop being such a fatty.

Wiz-Pig

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 03, 2013, 11:18:24 PM »
As an aside:

It's utterly pathetic...cringeworthy, even, that Arcane Wonders has not produced an online spellbook builder in some capacity for their official website.

It's been over a YEAR.

-nihil

The online spellbook builder though a useful resource can hardly be considered a top priority for a game that is still in the process of establishing a fan base. I can understand your frustration, in fact I have experienced some myself in regards to this very issue; however, firing off inflammatory rhetoric does nothing to advance your position. You claimed in another thread that you are not aggressive but merely passionate. That may be your honest self-assessment, but you may want to reassess that assessment and take a little more time in the future to consider the impact of your words in a context larger than the raw expression of your emotion.

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 03, 2013, 11:41:40 PM »
As an aside:

It's been over a YEAR.

-nihil

This comment is both needlessly abrasive and wholly unconstructive. It saddens me. Please consider your words more responsibly.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 11:45:03 PM by ringkichard »
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.

pixelgeek

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #116 on: September 03, 2013, 11:45:44 PM »

Absolutely!

Who needs the new expansions, spellbooks, con presence, new rubber mat, promo cards and all that other stuff?!?!

I think the company NEEDS to get their priorities STRaighT and stop producing boardgame related ITEMS until this serious issue of the lack of an online spellbook builder is solved!!

Arcane Wonders Web Guy

Send me a PM

Words to live by: I commit strongly to defending my wand.   Precisely so that I don't lose it.

Moonglow

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 04, 2013, 02:06:52 AM »
Come on Pixel, don't you think you're being a little harsh there? ;)  It is a hard balance to find though - in many ways (although you were probably taking the P), I agree - I'd rather a focus on the core game and multiplayer aspects, the deck builder etc that the company has been saying they'd get sorted (as opposed to encouraging fan solutions) for ages....

I also know that in the long run, the work AW are doing to build tournament support and a stronger fan base are all to the betterment of the game. 

At the same time, I care about some of this other stuff more than new cards... although they're fun too, and in many ways represent getting the full game out, since I get the impression we're playing with like 40% of the game space atm. 

anyway, different perspectives and values are all about what a community is about...

Absolutely!

Who needs the new expansions, spellbooks, con presence, new rubber mat, promo cards and all that other stuff?!?!

I think the company NEEDS to get their priorities STRaighT and stop producing boardgame related ITEMS until this serious issue of the lack of an online spellbook builder is solved!!

pixelgeek

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #118 on: September 04, 2013, 01:26:00 PM »
although you were probably taking the P

I was indeed
Arcane Wonders Web Guy

Send me a PM

Fyst

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 06, 2013, 01:05:53 PM »
I finally have a day off of work after 8 days straight (we are short staffed). So I have a few hours to tinker with www.gameknight.org/MageWars, the Spell Scribe. The notable additions that are coming...

We're adding a library. "Save" your spell books here. Or head to the library to check out the other spell books available there.

Print out your spell book configuration. When you click on "Print", a Master arcane scrivener is put to work for you, producing a card size copy of your consummate creation.