May 09, 2024, 02:13:09 AM

Author Topic: Demo night in Calgary  (Read 2480 times)

pixelgeek

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
Demo night in Calgary
« on: November 26, 2012, 10:49:13 PM »
A small turnout for our first demo night at Myth Games in Calgary but we did manage to sell a copy of the game after having a Warlock v. Beastmaster game get decided by the one wound inflicted by Rot  :lol:

We used the Apprentice rulebooks but actually used full stats and the full game board for the demos. We had a fair bit of time to play and despite the smaller spell selection the games were all a great bunch of fun.
  • Favourite Mage: Adramelech Warlock
Arcane Wonders Web Guy
Problem with the forums or website?

Send me a PM

Words to live by: I commit strongly to defending my wand.   Precisely so that I don't lose it.

werner

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Demo night in Calgary
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 11:10:49 AM »
Cool. We're about to demo it locally for new players, any further tips from your experience?

pixelgeek

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
Re: Demo night in Calgary
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 11:26:52 AM »
The "How to Teach..." document is very good and I'd use that as a guideline for explaining the core rules.

We did longer games and with full stats but  I think that if you have a few people to demo to that using the reduced stats in the "How to Teach..." document is a better bet. The Apprentice spell lists are very good and I think that sticking to the Warlock and Beastmaster are very good suggestions.

Get a copy of the reference sheet PDF and print one or two off so you can have them handy for people to refer to. The actions that each player can do with their creatures is a bit confusing at first.

If you have two people that you need to demo to I'd suggest giving them a brief overview and demo of the game over a few turns and then pairing them off for a game using the Apprentice spellbooks and full board and map while you hand around answering any questions that come up.

Guard and Enchantments were the two things that caused a fair number of questions. Timing of Enchantments was also a continuing issue.

Aside from that I think that the game demos quite well as it is fundamentally a simple set of rules that are internally consistent without any exceptions to trip people up.
  • Favourite Mage: Adramelech Warlock
Arcane Wonders Web Guy
Problem with the forums or website?

Send me a PM

Words to live by: I commit strongly to defending my wand.   Precisely so that I don't lose it.