Mage Wars > Mages

Collection of changes to mage abilities to level them out (houseruling)

<< < (2/16) > >>

Kelanen:

--- Quote from: Sailor Vulcan on October 14, 2016, 05:21:08 AM ---As for the priest I don't think giving him extra channeling is the right way to do it. 9 channeling does not make a Mage weak.

--- End quote ---

Yes it does. No 9 Channelling mage comes close to a 10 channeller (assuming count Druid as 10, which it really is).

Priest needs 10 Channelling more than anything else. He might want something else on top, but that is the start.

--- Quote from: Sailor Vulcan on October 14, 2016, 05:21:08 AM ---Arraxian crown Warlock is perfect example.

--- End quote ---

Agreed - it's a mediocre mage that will never be top tier.

Halewijn:
Vulcan: the difference with the priest and the other 9 channeling mages is pretty big, so I really disagree there.
1) He is a holy mage, which is an expensive school to use right.
2) Unlike the paladin, his abilities do cost a lot of mana.
3) He has the priestess doing a lot better than him only because of that mana difference. Even with both having 10 channeling, the priestess has those awesome restore powers to support her big guys.

--- Quote from: Borg on October 14, 2016, 06:08:34 AM ---About Veterans : I think giving each Soldier a vet token when summoned is probably strong enough.
Playing a soldier swarm they could really add up.
+1 attack / +1 armor is actually a great bonus, certainly if every soldier gets it.

--- End quote ---

I agree. I think this would be too strong. Goblin grunt would have 4 dice, 4 life and 1 armor for 4 mana. Pretty crazy.

Still, I think killing an opponent is too weak. So I suggest:

"If a soldier creature deals damage equal to his level +2, the soldier gains a veteran marker. Each soldier can only have 1 veteran marker."

Veteran: "The soldier gains Ranged +1, melee +1 and armor +1.

While we are doing so much changes already. Give the necromancer poison training! Not for balance but for theme and gameplay.

Kelanen:

--- Quote from: Halewijn on October 14, 2016, 09:29:03 AM ---Vulcan: the difference with the priest and the other 9 channeling mages is pretty big, so I really disagree there.
3) He has the priestess doing a lot better than him only because of that mana difference. Even with both having 10 channeling, the priestess has those awesome restore powers to support her big guys.

--- End quote ---

Completely agreed.

--- Quote from: Halewijn on October 14, 2016, 09:29:03 AM ---Still, I think killing an opponent is too weak. So I suggest:

"If a soldier creature deals damage equal to his level +2, the soldier gains a veteran marker. Each soldier can only have 1 veteran marker."

--- End quote ---

I agree with the Ranged +1, but definitely prefer the simpler and better coming into play with Vet token. I don't remotely fear BW dominating or even being top tier with it.

--- Quote from: Borg on October 14, 2016, 06:08:34 AM ---While we are doing so much changes already. Give the necromancer poison training! Not for balance but for theme and gameplay.

--- End quote ---

I agree, but since the Necromancer does fine, I wouldn't push to errata it. If you are Houseruling a bunch, then yes I agree.

iNano78:

--- Quote from: Halewijn on October 14, 2016, 09:29:03 AM ---Vulcan: the difference with the priest and the other 9 channeling mages is pretty big, so I really disagree there.

--- Quote from: Borg on October 14, 2016, 06:08:34 AM ---About Veterans : I think giving each Soldier a vet token when summoned is probably strong enough.
Playing a soldier swarm they could really add up.
+1 attack / +1 armor is actually a great bonus, certainly if every soldier gets it.

--- End quote ---

I agree. I think this would be too strong. Goblin grunt would have 4 dice, 4 life and 1 armor for 4 mana. Pretty crazy.

Still, I think killing an opponent is too weak. So I suggest:

While we are doing so much changes already. Give the necromancer poison training! Not for balance but for theme and gameplay.

--- End quote ---

Another way to look at it: Arraxian Crown Warlock might only channel 9, but his abilities don't cost mana, and in fact he comes with extra life (38) to accommodate for his Blood Reaper cost. Similarly, Adramelech Warlock's abilities are free, and Fireweaving doesn't even cost an action. Meanwhile, Priest's Avenger has an added mana cost (similar to Beastmaster's Pet) AND his Malakai's Fire ability also costs mana. Combine this with the fact that his melee attack is too weak on its own (e.g. needs a Light damage weapon or at least Bear Strength in order to bring it on par with Straywood Beastmaster's or Arraxian Crown Warlock's basic melee with Battle Skill, which is free each round), and you quickly see how he's at a disadvantage even as a melee/buddy mage.  Straywood Beastmaster, with Pet and Battle Skill, is already a better "buddy" mage than Malakai Priest, with Avenger and Malakai Fire ability, assuming the only card they cast is a creature (to make Pet/Avenger). And that's before factoring in how comparatively good/necessary all the Nature enchantments are to buff your self/buddy.

bigfatchef:
Thank you all four your feedback so far! As soon as I get the feeling we all agree more or less I will update the opening post for better overview.

Priest:
I agree with all reasons here and stay with channeling 10. Another idea could have been to burn for free instead of one mana.

Johktari and straywood:
has ranged +1. Fast just doesn't cooperate with that. Swapping wounded prey instead is no help here. I'll stay with swapping qucksummon and fast. Straywood as fast melee fighter needs his higher life (that was mentioned in that linked thread. So no swapping on that needed)

Warlords:
I totally agree on adding vet marker on soldiers when they are summoned. Also I agree on not stacking them up. That could be overdose. But I propose that those vet markers cost 1 mana. So they are comparable to anvils runes and fit in line.
I am not sure about swapping battle orders yet. Also if they should be a free additional action. More feedback needed. I have to admit I never really used them, so I can't tell out of my head who has which orders. There are always better things to do than using a battle order.

Necro
Yes, for thematic reasons that training would fit perfect, bin on the other hand he is already very strong and needs no further help. For simplicity I would also not change him.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version