Mage Wars > Mages

Collection of changes to mage abilities to level them out (houseruling)

(1/16) > >>

bigfatchef:
Errata always is a big thing so I won't try to go into that direction.
Playing mages with big disadvantages is no fun, but by not using them I feel sorry for those mages. It's a waste. There are interesting game mechanics and tactics to play with.
So I am searching for a houseruling on mage abilities that would level them out as good as possible. Changes should be simple and easy to remember.

My changes would be:
Priest
Holy Avenger comes into play active
Holy Avenger gets his bonus also if no damage got dealt
Additonal burn is for free
(Nice possible wording in reply 17)

Johktari
quick summoning instead of fast

Beastmaster
Fast instead of quick summoning
(See detailed Description for swap of beastmasters abilities here: http://forum.arcanewonders.com/index.php?topic=17103.0)

Anvil Throne warlord
Battle orders as free additional action (once per round...)

Bloodwave warlord
For 2 mana Soldiers start with 1 vet token
Vet tokens get also ranged+1
(Discussion about warlord abilities can be found here: http://forum.arcanewonders.com/index.php?topic=17288.0)

What do you think about this list? Is it complete?
I know that it would not make them all top tier, but at least close.

EDIT: changed ideas to best ideas till now.
Remaining question:
1 Priest gets damage barrier?
2 price for vet tokens ok?
3 maximum amount of vet tokens needed?

Sailor Vulcan:
Better to just switch the warlords' battle orders just like you switched beastmasters' fast and quick summoning.

As for the priest I don't think giving him extra channeling is the right way to do it. 9 channeling does not make a Mage weak. Arraxian crown Warlock is perfect example. I think it's important to keep in mind what the priest actually wants to do. His burn-dealing ability means he wants to be attacking. And his holy avenger either means he wants enemies to attack him, or he wants to force enemies to choose between attacking him or his things or his holy avenger, or he wants to force enemies to choose between attacking him or his things and incurring some other cost. Like if they attack the priest or one of his friendly creatures he'll spend some mana to heal himself and he'll get a boost for his holy avenger.

But if they don't attack the priest or any of his creatures, then the priest will have more mana to spend on something else because he won't need to cast healing spells.

With this in mind, what might be changed to open up the priest's pool of viable strategies and make it more clear to players how they can best make use of him?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Borg:
About Veterans : I think giving each Soldier a vet token when summoned is probably strong enough.
Playing a soldier swarm they could really add up.
+1 attack / +1 armor is actually a great bonus, certainly if every soldier gets it.

Boocheck:
I partially agree with Sailor about switching battle orders between those two. But Priest with 10 is the change i would really welcome :)

For Vet tokens - When summoning soldier, pay 3 (or 2) more mana and put a Vet token on him. Vet can be also obtained as normal, but thats it.

We trided Johktary/Straywood switch and it worked greatly :)

If only there was something like MAGE BOX expansion, giving this all changes, errated cards, some alternate mages to existing one and transition for Academy mages while introducing "padawan" mode :)

Kelanen:
Whilst I think a lot of these changes are needed, I wouldn't agree with some of your detail...

--- Quote from: bigfatchef on October 14, 2016, 04:39:59 AM ---Johktari
quick summoning instead of fast

Beastmaster
Fast instead of quick summoning
(See detailed Description for swap of beastmasters abilities here: http://forum.arcanewonders.com/index.php?topic=17103.0)

--- End quote ---

I think Quick Summoning should swap with Wounded prey (losing Fast defeats the point).
I would also tend to swap the Melee and Archery abilities, but feel much less strongly on those.

--- Quote from: bigfatchef on October 14, 2016, 04:39:59 AM ---Bloodwave warlord
Soldiers start with 1 vet token
vet tokens can stack.
(Discussion about warlord abilities can be found here: http://forum.arcanewonders.com/index.php?topic=17288.0)

--- End quote ---

I think starting with a Vet token is enough, no more gained in play.

I agree with all the other changes.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version