May 18, 2024, 12:51:43 PM

Author Topic: What's Winning Gen Con?  (Read 19970 times)

Enti

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: What's Winning Gen Con?
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2017, 11:16:01 AM »
How many people do you expect to Gen Con and how many attended last year? :)

Is it similar to the German Championship with 20 participants? Or much much more?

zot

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2017, 11:18:28 AM »
One thing I always get bothered by at Gen Con is people not getting enough practice in. With that in mind I'll be spending all evening Thursday fighting people with my books, bring your tournament book and lets fight. I may even try to get this set up as an all day event as well.

There are pros and cons to this.

if you make it an all day event, it gaurentees you table space which is always a pain in the ass to find at GenCon. That's one of the bad things of Gen Con is there is little to no room for any open gaming.

If you make it an event, it has to be paid for. they charge for space by the hour which is reflected in Ticket price.  That is why a 1 hour event is $2, and the MW tournament, an 8hr event is $16.  If this is an "event" for all day, say Thursday 10AM - 10PM, its going to cost somewhere around $24 a person.  Also how many "seats do you request? 10, 16? I'm not sure if that has to be paid for in advance and you get the ticket money back or something, but there is definitely a cost associated with it.

We're still debating GenCon because the cost keeps going up every year. And if we come, It'll be with the Wife and the baby, so I probably would be able to do an all day thing, but maybe drop in for 2-3 hours for a game or 2. I'm not going to pay $24 to drop in for one / 2 games.

You'd probably be better off trying to wing something Wednesday and Thursday nights in one of the local hotels that AW is putting you guys up in.

Last year we played in the mw area all night long. There were no issues or cost. I would think it would be the same this year. It was awesome. Hope you can make it.

Super Sorcerer

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2017, 03:13:05 PM »
ב"ה
I hope the winner will be either a holy mage or a bloodwave warlord. I would also be glad to see  a wizard and a johktari beastmaster in the final four.
I guess the winner is most likely to be a necromancer, a forcemaster or a siren.

Warlords got pretty nice tricks with these steadfast boots (which can be cast on an enemy mage together with a tanglevine), and the ballista and the gloves are really good. It seems a bit more likely that a warlord will be in the final four than last years.

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2017, 03:23:03 PM »
Warlords got pretty nice tricks with these steadfast boots (which can be cast on an enemy mage together with a tanglevine)

Cool idea, but you could only do this against a War mage.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

RomeoXero

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2017, 03:25:49 PM »
And only if you are a war mage as well.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
I love this game. Its awesome!

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2017, 02:09:03 PM »
It's been a while, but not yet time for GenCon, so I hope you don't mind my resurrecting this thread.

A lot of people are talking about the Necromancer. I think the Necro has both benefitted from and been hurt by PvS (will be good against Sirens, but not against Holy mages). In general, though, I think that the Necro is going to find it more difficult in many matches. Holy mages got a serious boost with PvS... so I expect probably two of four of the finalists would be one of Paladin, Priest, or Priestess... probably Paladin as one. Siren... I've played one person who had a good Siren book, so I know that it is possible for one to do very well... and I won't be surprised if there is one in the finals also, since there probably are people who have not had enough experience against her yet. Lastly, I am expecting a Warlock to be in the finals as well. It just seems to me that a fire-trained mage can do well in many matchups. So my top three expectations would be: Paladin, Siren, some kind of Warlock... with outside chances for Priest, Forcemaster, Straywood BM, and Wizard.

I especially don't want to see either of the new mages win, however. The spells available to them are pretty amazing. Since I am a fan of underdogs, I'd be thrilled if none of the above win... doesn't really matter to me which.
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 13, 2017, 03:38:46 PM »
I don't mind the ressurection. I'd be very surprised if Necromancer won it two in a row. I honestly predict the Druid or Force Master.

Don't be surprised if a Warlord makes top 4.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
  • Out of the ashes, a new power will rise.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 13, 2017, 03:51:08 PM »
I don't mind the ressurection. I'd be very surprised if Necromancer won it two in a row. I honestly predict the Druid or Force Master.

Don't be surprised if a Warlord makes top 4.
Forcemaster? Huh.
What should be we be expecting in Academy FM is the big question then. :)
The Phoenix shall rise.

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 13, 2017, 04:06:30 PM »
Tbh, I think the final four will be Biblo, Millie, Zot, and Larrick/Shark/Coshade.
The Phoenix shall rise.

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 13, 2017, 06:03:08 PM »
In terms of players I don't even want to guess.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
What's Winning Gen Con?
« Reply #55 on: May 13, 2017, 07:03:47 PM »
I think all the mages have a chance to win, as it should be ever since the wizard and his tower were errata'd. Holy mages, war mages and the forcemaster probably have a slight advantage, though. Right now I wouldn't estimate more than a 50% chance of any particular Mage winning the tournament.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 07:05:41 PM by Sailor Vulcan »
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

RomeoXero

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 13, 2017, 08:32:03 PM »
I expect fewer wizards by a large margin this year! I'm gonna be there to see it firsthand! Necro is still very strong, pillar might mess with them though. 
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
I love this game. Its awesome!

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 13, 2017, 09:22:27 PM »
I think necro's and druids often throw off the opposing game plan so much that they can appear potentially stronger than they actually are.
The Phoenix shall rise.

Puddnhead

• Member of Arcane Duels; MageCast Co-host
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 13, 2017, 11:52:06 PM »
Johktari for 1st. Paladin and Forcemaster in top 4.

zot

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 14, 2017, 12:06:45 AM »
i doubt very much a jbm makes the finals at all.