May 20, 2024, 02:53:55 AM

Author Topic: Battleground Quality  (Read 4957 times)

bigfatchef

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Battleground Quality
« on: January 04, 2016, 10:49:19 AM »
So after waiting like 7 months I got a Box Battleground from Amazon.
My preferred gameshop where I preordered several months ago told me they will get it in march 2016 (!!!).... So sadly I had to cancel my preorder and order regulary via Amazon wich already has Battleground in Stock in Germany. (I just mention that, because priorities like that destroy small shops)

The main problem is, that it is the worst quality I can just imagine. The pieces of gameboard don't fit into each other. Half of the pieces are not just a bit deformed, they really don't fit. The pieces are not even. You lay them on the table and all edges are some milimeters up. (see pics in attachment)

My last ordered box before that was a second copy of arena (english version) where all markers were unreadable for the priniting was half way besides the cutout. I was hoping quality rises :(

Also I thought (but maybe I was wrong there), that the first printings should have some promos includeded. That was not the case. But as I sad, maybe I got that wrong.

I am sending the package back for refund. The next one will came after I see others in better quality. How are yours? Or was I just really unlucky?

P.S. I hope you can see the problem on the pics. I had to scale them hard to fit into this forum.

Thanks.

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Re: Battleground Quality
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2016, 10:56:32 AM »
I'm sorry this has been a disappointment for you. Yes, you're right these were supposed to include promo cards. We had sent promos out with the product. Retailers should have recieved them. I'm sorry if there was some confusion in there.

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2016, 04:45:57 PM »
I agree that the tile of Domination are not top quality. We always have a hard time connecting them togheter.

RomeoXero

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2016, 05:48:59 PM »
For what it's worth when I got my copy it was flawless. The only issue was that I didn't get my promos but laddinfance fixed that right away. Sorry you had an issue. I've heard it's not uncommon.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
I love this game. Its awesome!

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2016, 02:25:15 AM »
i didn't look at the tiles when i recieved domination... it's right they are irregularly cut, they need to be forced in to build a map (and cotiously separated afterwars)... perhaps the design was too ambitious for the production...

and i don't know if it's the first print still, but i didn't recieve any promo with domination.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2016, 09:24:55 AM »
I still haven't opened mine. My whole playgroup is still in apprentice mode.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2016, 09:47:25 AM »
My whole playgroup is still in apprentice mode.

you finally found one! cool!

Sailor Vulcan

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Battleground Quality
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2016, 10:58:54 AM »

Yeah. They often don't have time to play though since the regular members live over an hour away, one person seems to have left, and it's been a bit difficult to coordinate everyone with their busy schedules. It should be easier now that Christmas break is nearly over. I'm going to start Mage Wars organized play in my area this month. I think I'll be tentatively scheduling it for Fridays, though that might change when I get a part-time job. There's also a game night that I'm going to tonight that's being held at one of the local hospitals, and I'm considering bringing Academy. Then again I haven't had the chance to actually play a full game of Academy yet. Maybe I should stick to teaching people how to play Arena for tonight. I think I might have enough markers and stuff to run two demos at once now, but I'm not sure.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 11:03:28 AM by Sailor Vulcan »
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

drmambo23

• Ambassador
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2016, 01:58:38 AM »
how many editions of battlegrounds have been printed because I didn't receive any promo cards either?

Other than that, I am having some trouble fitting the pieces together at times. some fit great, others not so.  But they are all flat, no issues there.  And I am having a really great time enjoying this product so far! :D :D
https://www.instagram.com/pistillidesigns/
Instagram and Facebook - @pistillidesigns

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2016, 05:51:45 AM »
I still haven't opened mine. My whole playgroup is still in apprentice mode.

No reason you couldn't use terrain tiles in an Apprentice size arena to mix things up.
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2016, 05:59:45 AM »

Yeah. They often don't have time to play though since the regular members live over an hour away, one person seems to have left, and it's been a bit difficult to coordinate everyone with their busy schedules. It should be easier now that Christmas break is nearly over. I'm going to start Mage Wars organized play in my area this month. I think I'll be tentatively scheduling it for Fridays, though that might change when I get a part-time job. There's also a game night that I'm going to tonight that's being held at one of the local hospitals, and I'm considering bringing Academy. Then again I haven't had the chance to actually play a full game of Academy yet. Maybe I should stick to teaching people how to play Arena for tonight. I think I might have enough markers and stuff to run two demos at once now, but I'm not sure.

I found that early edition core sets allows 4 apprentice books (1 for each mage) and two apprentice arena boards so you only need to share markers and dice. I split the boards down the middle to get more apprentice board setups.

If you need more sets to support apprentice play you can trade for core set copies on BoardGameGeek. I was able to get a few extra sets with games I wasn't playing that were gathering dust on my shelf.
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin

Sailor Vulcan

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2016, 02:20:49 PM »

I found that early edition core sets allows 4 apprentice books (1 for each mage) and two apprentice arena boards so you only need to share markers and dice. I split the boards down the middle to get more apprentice board setups.

If you need more sets to support apprentice play you can trade for core set copies on BoardGameGeek. I was able to get a few extra sets with games I wasn't playing that were gathering dust on my shelf.

Something I've been wondering about is if it's possible to make forcemaster and warlord apprentice books and run three demos simultaneously. I could just use the regular 3x4 arena for that by having 3 extra implied zones on each side of the board.

Sailor Vulcan

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Battleground Quality
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2016, 02:22:09 PM »

Something I've been wondering about is if it's possible to make forcemaster and warlord apprentice books and run three demos simultaneously. I could just use the regular 3x4 arena for that by having 3 extra implied zones on each side of the board. Would anyone be willing to help me design and test them?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 02:23:55 PM by Sailor Vulcan »

jhaelen

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2016, 09:47:33 AM »
Good thing I'm waiting for the German version... lots of time to fix such issues.