Mage Wars > Domination

Let's talk Multiplayer Domination

<< < (7/8) > >>

iNano78:
So ends another year of 3-way Domination matches. And after 38 matches, we're growing a little bit bored of the few 3-way maps included in the rule book, along with the handful of maps and custom scenarios we've been able to come up with. One driver for our lack of creativity is related to the challenges of making "fair" 3-way maps from 4-sided tiles. There really aren't many options of having mages start at range 3-4 from each other and equidistant from orbs when using squares. Starting in 2019, we'll be dabbling with hexagonal Domination tiles. Paper prototypes below (please excuse the terrible initial attempt at colour matching; these are just a mock-up).

iNano78:
And other attachment ('cause file size limitation per post).

wtcannonjr:
Interesting.

Let us know how this works out for your group.

I've been considering a 4-player domination style format for tournament play but haven't had time to put it down on paper yet. This allows more players to interact in each game without too much more table space.

iNano78:

--- Quote from: wtcannonjr on December 22, 2018, 12:05:34 PM ---Interesting.

Let us know how this works out for your group.

I've been considering a 4-player domination style format for tournament play but haven't had time to put it down on paper yet. This allows more players to interact in each game without too much more table space.

--- End quote ---
The downside of 4 player Domination, whether in teams or free-for-all, is that it takes so long. When we have 4, we’d always prefer two parallel 1-on1 Arena death matches, likely followed by a “winners” match and a “losers” match, rather than one loooonngg 4-player game. But ymmv.

wtcannonjr:
I am imagining a 2-3 hour maximum for each match. Say 5 V'Tar points to end it. Each V'Tar point earned by a player in each match would be converted to Tournament Points with additional Tournament Points added for killing an opponent mage. This would allow players to try a mix of strategies during the tournament.

After X number of rounds the tournament points are totaled and ranked to determine the top 6 players and prizes awarded based on that ranking.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version