May 06, 2024, 11:43:42 AM

Author Topic: How to play LEAGUE?  (Read 3039 times)

krj

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
How to play LEAGUE?
« on: October 31, 2013, 05:37:06 AM »
Hi.

We are planning to run a league in Cracow, Poland.
There is gonna be probably about 8-10 players.
We want to play one match in a week,
We plan to play full time games, so until opponent is dead (no time limit or some longer time like 3h).
We want to play each other, sum points and then decide who won the league.

The main discussion we have now is about mages. There are in this moment two proposals of choosing a mage:
1) each player choose his mage and play it for whole league. he can adjust his spellbook before each game (of course he will know against which mage he will fight next round)
2) each player can choose his mage before each game, so you won't know which mage your opponent will be playing (maybe try guessing after few games if somebody will play same one)

i have my opinion on that, but want YOU to write me your thoughts. was anybody playing in league on similar rules to ours? what would you recommend?

thanks

tarkin84

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: How to play LEAGUE?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 05:56:41 AM »
Hi krj!

We started a league in Madrid a month ago and had the same issues when organizing it. We chose the second option as it didn't give the opportunity of including heavy meta against the next opponent (you are playing the forcemaster against my beastmaster? well, here are my 4 falcon precision and 3 eagleclaw boots...). And remember that the league will be long enough to make some players want to try a completely different strategy. And Druid vs Necro is coming... :D
My Mage Wars blog (in Spanish): www.gatetovoltari.blogspot.com

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 08:37:52 AM »
2 all the way.

Being able to completely custumize the book to a specific opponent takes away the aspect of being agile.
Also some class suffer alot more from that this others. if you know you are vs a Warlock you can pack 6 dispells and elemental cloaks and dragon scale hauberks.

If you were to start and finish the tournament in 1 day, i would go for option 3.

same mage, same book. no custimization in between matches.

HomelessJoe

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2013, 11:03:22 AM »
Just keep in mind that you are organizing an event for people to enjoy. If you went with rule #1 you might run into people getting upset about the lack of customization and strategy changes. I find that most people have one or two strong mage builds they will stick with anyway. So the rule is there for people to feel less restricted to a game which is revered for it's deck building.
However, also keep in mind that unless playing under an honor system you will need a moderator to go through each book for spell book count. If each player is changing out their mage/cards frequently, this could add up to a lot of work.
If this were a one day tournament event I would say that #1 is best just for time flow and ease of supervision. Because you don't have that time restriction #2 is the best hands down.

Good luck to you in your tournament endeavor. They are an absolute blast.

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2013, 06:54:08 PM »
Option #3 sounds best to me too. Same mage, Same book, No customization between matches.

krj

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2013, 05:47:52 AM »
@Zuberi

this league will last for 8-10 weeks so you won't want to play same spellbook for 2 months. In the meantime there will be DvN Expansion availabe in Poland so probably people would like to test it and use it in tournament.

i'm also for second option, maybe after your comments it will be easier to convince other participants. thanks for your thoughts