May 06, 2024, 02:29:57 PM

Author Topic: Forged In Fire  (Read 381222 times)

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Re: Forged In Fire
« Reply #120 on: March 29, 2014, 10:30:25 AM »
Why wouldn't all living dragons be reptiles, and therefore part of the nature school?
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 29, 2014, 10:47:44 AM »
Not any more than all mages are humans/elves/orcs/dwarves and therefore part of the nature school.
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.

isel

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 29, 2014, 10:47:58 AM »
Why wouldn't all living dragons be reptiles, and therefore part of the nature school?

i bilieve that all LIVING dragons would be nature school, but depends of they power they would be a second school.
-Fire dragon : Fire and nature
-Dead dragon: Dark
-Water dragon or ice dragon: water and nature
-earth dragon: earth & nature.
-wind dragon: wind & nature
-Maybe a dragon without powers: nature
-Black dragon (acid): Water &nature & dark
-light dragon: Holy &nature.

but i hope all dragons have several attacks and channeling for spells to cast their breaths and maybe a lvl 1-2 spells of his schools.

baronzaltor

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 29, 2014, 01:27:40 PM »

Stonegaze Basilisks are Arcane, and they have the Reptile and Lizard subtypes.

Also, Darkfenne Bats are a type of "Animal" subtype but are Dark school.

Highland Unicorns are "Animal"s in subtype, but are Holy.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 02:25:10 PM by baronzaltor »

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 29, 2014, 02:28:12 PM »
Oh yeah. Forgot about that. Oops.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 30, 2014, 12:59:39 AM »
I'm fully with Isel in that dragons should belong to the school their elemental alignment is with. The big question I'd have with them involves their ability to fly. Powerful in their own right when you keep them away from the majority of attackers they can get disgusting. Maybe make their flight akin to the Vampiress.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 30, 2014, 08:56:22 AM »
I think they should be able to fly all of the time. It's not going to make them any more broken than Adramelech or any of the angels. The dragons will just need to be priced accordingly to their power. This may mean a casting cost of 30+ mana if they are as beefy as we expect, but so be it. Dragons shouldn't be easy to summon.

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
« Reply #127 on: March 30, 2014, 09:03:19 AM »
Let the Archmage have the dragons...

It will be a fantastic gaming experience to take a team of mages and defeat the Archmage with her dragons.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin

Bluebaron

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 30, 2014, 05:32:39 PM »
I am really looking forward to the new expansion. From what I have seen so far, it will be a well designed expansion, where a lot of work and clever thinking has been put into.

I have a very good feeling that both the warlock and the especially  warlord will be more competitive after the release of this expansion.

From the data I have seen, I also think that the value for money of this new expansion will be  much better than the conquest of kumajaro expansion, where there had been some discussion over that point. For tthe same money we get a more thematic expansion with 158 spell cards instead of 110 and better packaging as well. This sounds very good. I also think the forged in fire expansion will be well priced compared to the bigger expansions like druid vs. necromancer. Thank you very much arcane wonders. Please keep on going with your excellent work.

isel

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 31, 2014, 03:41:08 AM »
I think they should be able to fly all of the time. It's not going to make them any more broken than Adramelech or any of the angels. The dragons will just need to be priced accordingly to their power. This may mean a casting cost of 30+ mana if they are as beefy as we expect, but so be it. Dragons shouldn't be easy to summon.

There are many legends in which not all dragons can fly, maybe a earth dragon or a water dragon (serpent sea) would be two examples, or zombie dragons.

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 31, 2014, 03:48:45 AM »

There are many legends in which not all dragons can fly, maybe a earth dragon or a water dragon (serpent sea) would be two examples, or zombie dragons.

This is true Isel. Good point.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

Moonglow

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 31, 2014, 03:57:03 AM »
Kinda curious whether people are thinking forged in fire will help the old warlord much? Just reading this old thread after playing the warlord http://forum.arcanewonders.com/index.php?topic=13131.15

I was left wondering how much FiF is going to help the old warlord vs make a new one? Not sure if that quite makes sense. But guess I was thinking as much about the cards an spells that came with the old warlord, do any of them become more viable? Are we more likely to find barracks and garrisons working together? And what were they thinking with that nerf anyway? I thought the old warlord had some good cards, just very poor synergies between them. Do the new cards help the old ones synergize better, or just replace them?  Anyway just curious. 

PS has there ever been a designers diary or playtester's musings on force master vs warlord? I'd love to know what they were thinking with the design, how they were playing him that it all seemed to work etc, not in a critical way, just curious and thinking it might help give me some insights into how to make him work better.

kailas

• Playtester
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 31, 2014, 08:17:36 AM »
PS has there ever been a designers diary or playtester's musings on force master vs warlord? I'd love to know what they were thinking with the design, how they were playing him that it all seemed to work etc, not in a critical way, just curious and thinking it might help give me some insights into how to make him work better.

I love this idea!

Lord0fWinter

• Warden of the North
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
  • www.magewars.weebly.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 31, 2014, 09:07:34 AM »
Two more spoilers.

• Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
Visit my Mage Wars blog at www.magewars.weebly.com, also check me out on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/MageWarsBlog and on twitter at @MageWarsBlog

lettucemode

« Reply #134 on: March 31, 2014, 11:53:56 AM »

It is known that the playtesters vote to pare down the list of "ready to release" cards to what can fit in an expansion. It's possible that several of the cards to be released in FiF were being used in playtests leading up to the FvW expansion, and based on that pool the Warlord was perceived to be in a good state, but then a few cards were cut from the expansion leading to the state he is in now.

It also could be simply time. Some balance issues in competitive games do not surface for a long time, years even. Nothing to be done about that kind of thing, it just happens.

Regardless I am looking forward to the Warlord's new toys. Some new tricks for a Swarm build, a territory control build with that huge new guy, and tools for a few-big build (my personal favorite).