May 02, 2024, 11:33:04 AM

Author Topic: Cards i wish were in the core spell tome  (Read 5300 times)

Klaxas

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Cards i wish were in the core spell tome
« on: August 23, 2012, 03:33:24 PM »
Conjurations
Battle Forge (2 in base set)
Posion Gas Cloud (2 in base set)

Enchantments
Chains of Agony (2 in base set)

Highland Unicorn (2 in base set)
Gorgon Archer (1 in base set)
Knight of Westlock (2 in base set)
Emerald Tegu (2 in base set)
Steelclaw Grizzly (1 in base set)
Darkfenne Hydra (2 in base set)

I think battleforge should be in the core spell tome because if you run multiple books you probibly want more.  (heck ive ran 2 in one book before)  and posion gas cloud is not zone exclusive, so if thats your thing i could easily see someone wanting to run 4 of these.

Chains of agony, very useful curse.  i can see lots of warlocks using 4 of these.  and even other mages wanting to splash a bit in.

the creatures.  where do i begin.  only having one grizzly available would make it tough to make a deck around.  the tengu, if you wanted to go with a rot theme you would want this and 6 bats (but bats are in the core spell tome so no worries there)  i could also see a wizard deck based around 4 hydras (shivers) with pushes, teleports, battle fury etc.  and as good as the gorgon is, with only 1 available, i dont think i will put that in my deck.

i left out the epic, and legendary cards.  although i could see a warlock wanting to run a second aldramelech in case the first one dies.  and my friend complained he didnt have a second idol of pestolence to put in his wizard deck.

most of the equipment in the spell tome i dont think we need.  the boots and gloves gives a minor benifit and are really only useful when stacked (with the battleforges most likely)  most spellbooks wont use these at all.

i guess the point of this post is to make people aware if the limitations.  and to ask a question.  I assume there were going to be other spell tomes.  how soon and what types of compositions are they going to have?  I could see an equipment tome with equipments and battleforges.  a creature tome to make up some of the lack in the core spell tome, etc.  interested in hearing what you guys are planning before i run out and buy another boxed set lol
Favorite Mage: The one I am using.

Spyre

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Cards i wish were in the core spell tome
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 06:01:33 PM »
I am still waiting for general availability to get my copy.  Looking over the spell lists of the base set and the tome, it does seem some very useful spells aren't in the tome.  Is there any word if the 4 player expansion is going to include copies of base spells?

Hedge

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 06:13:02 PM »
I plan on selling singles, as I have done for other games I play, including cards from the core set. I may even offer the extra arenas and other token as well.

Hedge

Mestrahd

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 08:11:45 PM »
If I recall the Belt of Regeneration or what-have-you is not in the Spell Tome either. That seems like a very handy piece of equipment every mage would want.

Klaxas

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 11:48:09 PM »
yes i agree.  maybe not every mage but certainly more than 2 is needed.  a nature mage i could even see putting in 2 in case one is disolved.

tidus99

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 09:37:33 AM »
I am still on the fence about purchasing the core spell tome.

Having a bigger card pool means I can play the odd 2 Vs. 2 team game when I have my play group over which will be fun.

Do people think at some point they will rotate through all the cards or will some be dead weight never seeing the spell book?

Klaxas

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 11:19:42 AM »
i havent seen any cards that wont see any play time.  it all depends on your style of build.  if your playing creature heavy you wont want the arena wide anti creature cards (supression orb, mordoks oblesk) for example.  i think with 4 players you might run out of some cards even with the core spell tome (like with 4 players you might need more battle forges).  and my friend bought 3 core spell tomes and is complaining he still doesnt have enough force pushes (but then he tries to run 6 in each deck)

for 4 players you might want to go ahead and buy another box and paint the new set of markers so you have an extra set, and extra board (for the 4 player free for all) and extra cards like the unicorns and battle forges that arnt in the core spell tome.