May 03, 2024, 07:29:00 AM

Author Topic: Teleport and LOS  (Read 7343 times)

fas723

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Teleport and LOS
« on: October 10, 2012, 05:27:19 AM »
Can I teleport something through a wall?
Does it depent on which side I start the teleportation?

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Teleport and LOS
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 08:15:21 AM »
400th
Quote from: "fas723" post=1986
Can I teleport something through a wall?
Does it depent on which side I start the teleportation?

Teleporting
Teleporting is an effect that moves a creature directly from one zone to another. The teleported creature
does not move through any zones in between, and bypasses all walls, creatures, and objects along its
route.
Everything that is attached to the teleported creature, except conjurations, including all conditions, damage, enchantments, equipment, and mana, always moves with the teleported creature to its new zone. Any attached conjurations do not move with the creature when it teleports, and are destroyed. In this way, a creature can effectively escape from conjurations like Tanglevine. A creature may teleport into the same zone it started in (effectively teleporting zero zones) to escape from attached conjurations. Unlike a Push, teleporting can affect Unmovable creatures.

So it would be correct to say you can teleport a creature past a wall but not through it.  Also in order to do this you would need LOS to both the Creatures Zone and the intended zone if using the Teleport spell.

I hope that helps
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

Rumsey

• Playtester
  • Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2012, 11:57:05 AM »
Ok, I'm a little confused. When if ever can you teleport through a wall?  The Teleport spell requires LOS for the destination and since every wall so far blocks LOS, then you can never use Teleport to bypass a wall unless the wall does not block LOS or your creature moves like a Gremlin and never mentions LOS. Was this intentional or a byproduct of set targeting rules?  I almost feel that this spell should ignore LOS as the description of Teleportation in the book never mentions requiring LOS.

Hedge

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2012, 02:12:24 PM »
It only Matters that the mage Has LoS to the Creature and the Destination Zone.  The Teleported creature could have three sides of its zone walled off, but there would stil be at least two other zones that would have a LoS to that Zone. The wizard casting Teleport would have to be in one of those zones to move that Creature.

Hedge

Rumsey

• Playtester
  • Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2012, 03:27:49 PM »
Well, I like the spell but I'm hoping that a Teleport Self spell comes out that does not require LOS. It seems like Teleport would be good for getting out of a walled-in corner, but the current spell does not allow this.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2012, 11:09:35 AM »
With the current wording if a creature has a teleport ability it could even go past objects that block LoS unless otherwise stated in that ability. Because the teleport keyword does not require LoS, where as the teleport spell does.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Alberto112

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2013, 10:57:45 AM »
Hi

I'm still a little confused.

Is it so correct ?

Spell : Teleport

Target creature must be within 0-2 zone away from the caster and in LOS. Target destination zone also be 0-2 zone away from the caster (not from targed creature) and also in LOS.

The rules say nothing about LOS in chaper Teleporting

Thanks for replys
Alberto

baronzaltor

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2013, 05:12:28 PM »
Teleporting is a generic term for a type of movement.

The spell "teleport" requires the caster to target (with Los) the creature and the destination zone (with Los, possibly a different Los) the creature being moved ignores the wall between himself and the target zone.   So a Mage who is beside a wall can see the creature on one side and the destination on the other and can target both.

Blue Gremlin can make his move action into teleportation.  The difference here is that move actions do not ever call for targeting nor line of sight.  He may move into a zone he can't see AND may bypass walls.  This allows him to walk "through" it.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2013, 12:27:34 AM »
Teleporting is a generic term for a type of movement.

The spell "teleport" requires the caster to target (with Los) the creature and the destination zone (with Los, possibly a different Los) the creature being moved ignores the wall between himself and the target zone.   So a Mage who is beside a wall can see the creature on one side and the destination on the other and can target both.

Blue Gremlin can make his move action into teleportation.  The difference here is that move actions do not ever call for targeting nor line of sight.  He may move into a zone he can't see AND may bypass walls.  This allows him to walk "through" it.
Correct

Moonglow

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2013, 02:14:19 AM »
I think its been mentioned elsewhere, but flying creatures have LOS past walls.  So flying familiars, i.e. Huggin can teleport you past walls etc.