May 03, 2024, 06:13:48 AM

Author Topic: Deployment Phase timing  (Read 5813 times)

vlad3theimpaler

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Deployment Phase timing
« on: December 03, 2013, 02:45:18 AM »
Playing the Necromancer and Druid over the weekend, we were a little bit unclear on what the timing is supposed to be for multiple effects during the deployment phase, including the Druid's vines and multiple spawnpoints.

The scenario was this:  I had 2 spawnpoints (Graveyard and Libro Mortuos) as the Necromancer, and the Druid had the Spreading Vines ability, a Vine Tree allowing another Vine to be placed, and the spawnpoint ability from the Vine Tree.

In what order do we resolve all that?

This is all the rulebooks says about the Deployment Phase:
Starting with the player who has the initiative, you may
cast the spells you assigned to your Spawnpoints (see
“Spawnpoints” on page 16). Reveal the spell you have
chosen, pay the mana required, and resolve the spell. If you
choose not to cast the spell (or if you cannot), it is returned to
your spellbook at the beginning of the next Planning Phase.
Playing Hint: Most of the time, you will find that both players
can have their Spawnpoints cast spells simultaneously.
Druid:
During the Deployment Phase, you may place a Vine marker in a zone. 
Vine Tree:
During the Deployment Phase, you may pay 1 mana to place 1 additional Vine marker with your Spreading Vines ability.  During the Deployment Phase, Vine Tree may cast 1 vine creature or conjuration spell.

Are the Vine Markers placed at the beginning/end of the Deployment Phase, or are they done in initiative order like casting spells?  Is the additional marker from the Vine Tree placed at the same time as the first Vine marker, or is a separate event?

The way we played it was to go back and forth, starting with the player with initiative, to either cast a spell from a spawnpoint, place a marker, or decline to take further action.  Were we right (or at least close?)
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
Re: Deployment Phase timing
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 03:00:37 AM »
There is no place in the rules that says that players go back and forth during the Deployment Phase. It says that first the player with initiative deploys, and then the next player in turn order.

Thus, the player with Initiative would get to do ALL of their deployments to start with. In the case of having multiple deployments available to them, they could choose the order in which they deploy. When they are finished, then the next player will be allowed the same privilege. Once all players have had this opportunity, the Deployment Phase ends.

The extra vine marker granted by your Vine Tree is still placed using your Spreading Vines ability, and thus must be done at the same time as the first Vine Marker. I can not think of a situation in which this would really matter though.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 09:39:08 AM »
Technically it is just a Zuberi said. Mage with initiative goes then the other player. In most of my game play we  do Deployments at the time (to save time). Now if it is a mirror match and you both try to bring out an Orchid in the same zone. The player with initiative would be able to place the Orchid and the other mage wouldn't.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 05:10:16 PM »
Zuberi and Sike with the double team
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

vlad3theimpaler

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2013, 12:55:12 AM »
Looks like we made things more complicated than they needed to be. 

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2013, 01:20:03 AM »

How is player A does all the deploys then player B then C and so on more complex? ???
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

vlad3theimpaler

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2013, 06:47:11 AM »

How is player A does all the deploys then player B then C and so on more complex? ???
It isn't.  I said we (my friend and I from the game I mentioned) made it more complicated than it needs to be.  In other words, the correct is simpler than what we did.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2013, 09:36:28 AM »

It isn't.  I said we (my friend and I from the game I mentioned) made it more complicated than it needs to be.  In other words, the correct is simpler than what we did.

Ok just had to double check