May 03, 2024, 05:16:05 AM

Author Topic: Goblin builders and walls  (Read 5022 times)

Usagi

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Goblin builders and walls
« on: December 02, 2013, 01:08:30 PM »
I bet this has been clarified somewhere already...but I'm not exactly sure where to look for such a clarification. So, I want to ask, can a goblin builder use it's ability to "remove 1 damage from a corporeal conjuration in it's zone" on a wall? I ask because a wall isn't exactly in a zone, it's between them...but they can also be hit with melee attacks like they are in the zone. So, I'm not sure which way this ability falls.

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
Re: Goblin builders and walls
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 07:53:38 PM »
This question is frustrating me. I feel confident that the Goblin Builder can repair walls, yet I am unable to find any official statement that supports that assumption. This could be a rule that I've been playing incorrectly. Without locating any ruling that says otherwise, I would have to say that the Goblin Builder can not target Walls because they are not within his Zone.

Before you go taking that as cannon though, I would like someone else to scour the rulebook and back me up on this. Am I missing something, or is this really the case?

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 08:42:41 PM »
A wall is cast on a Zone Border and using the precedent of the ruling that Mort can reassemble a Wall of Bones which is on a zone border, you can use the Goblin Builder to repair a wall that is on one of the zone borders in the zone that the Goblin Builder occupies.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

aquestrion

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013, 08:52:17 PM »
Mort specifically say bordering his zone

baronzaltor

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2013, 08:53:48 PM »
The difference is that Mort actually specifies "object in or bordering his zone".  The Goblin Builder is limited to IN his zone, with no option of a bordering conjuration. 

I don't think the Builder "upgrades" just because Mort is more specific in his text.

So on a dry interpretation, it would seem that he can't.  Even though I think he probably SHOULD be able to … after all he can cast a wall, so it only stands to reason that he could repair that same wall.

Its much like Akiro's Hammer being stopped by a fog bank simply due to targeting verbiage… it cannot target an incorporeal wall because its attack is limited to "corporeal conjurations" even though it obviously should be able to shoot at anything that an archer could attempt to shoot.  AND it can't shoot past the fog bank because it has no LOS… so its just SOL.   (see what I did there.)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 08:55:24 PM by baronzaltor »

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2013, 10:03:47 PM »
But a wall bordering the zone is 0-0 away from that zone. Walls are the only objects in the game that go on zone borders. Maybe it was just a typo and they forgot about the difference between "in one's zone" and "range 0-0" since those are almost always the same thing...

Also, I wonder if Line of Sight should be renamed Line of Legal Targeting, since  conjurations (at least most of them) don't have eyes to see with.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2013, 10:48:40 PM »
Quote from: Imaginator
Maybe it was just a typo and they forgot about the difference between "in one's zone" and "range 0-0" since those are almost always the same thing...

Typos are always a possibility, but we can't assume that something is a mistake. Otherwise, the entire rulebook comes under question. We must proceed that it is written as intended. Thus, until we find an official statement that says otherwise, the Goblin Builder is not able to repair walls.

This is contrary to how I have been playing him, and how I feel he is intended to play, but it is the way the rules currently read. I would love for someone to locate an official word saying that he can, but I have not been able to do so.

Quote from: Imaginator
I wonder if Line of Sight should be renamed Line of Legal Targeting

That change may be more accurate, but I do not see it being adopted (and I personally am against it). The main reason being consistency. The phrase "Line of Sight" is used in a multitude of games and activities and has been for several decades. It has become a common vernacular.