May 03, 2024, 12:09:26 AM

Author Topic: elemental damage modifiers  (Read 5675 times)

pixcalcis

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
elemental damage modifiers
« on: September 03, 2013, 08:35:50 PM »
I know that'melee +x' or 'ranged +x' modifiers only apply to the first attack during something such as a doublestrike.

What about if a card had a 'flame +/- x' or 'lightning +/- x' and they were able to strike multiple times. Or cards like Tarok Skyhunter which just says +2 vs flying creatures.

Is the bonus still limited to only the first attack or does this persist?

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
Re: elemental damage modifiers
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 10:23:40 PM »
Staff of Asyra (or Tarok) gets the vs. bonus to both attacks with Battle Fury.

If Valshalla attacks an Iron Golem twice with Battle Fury she gets the benefit of the Iron Golem's Lightning +2 for both attacks.
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 08:42:35 AM »
This is thoroughly covered in the FAQ.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

pixcalcis

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 10:16:35 AM »
Staff of Asyra (or Tarok) gets the vs. bonus to both attacks with Battle Fury.

If Valshalla attacks an Iron Golem twice with Battle Fury she gets the benefit of the Iron Golem's Lightning +2 for both attacks.

Wouldnt any of the attack bonuses work that way with Battle fury?  Per the FAQ,

'Some traits (such as Melee +X) state that “if the attack makes multiple attacks against the same or
different creature, it gains the bonus only for the first attack it makes.” This wording is clarified to say;
“if the creature makes multiple attacks during the same attack action, it gains this bonus only for the first
attack it can make with this bonus.” '

And battle fury says that after the attack action , it may immediately make another quick action melee attack. I read that as 2 separate attack actions. So melee, ranged, bloodthirsty, etc bonuses would all be applied for the second strike of battle fury.
However, what if whirling strike is used. These strikes are all during the same attack action as far as I can tell, so would Tarok's bonus work on multiple flying creatures.

This is thoroughly covered in the FAQ.

I dont mean to sound rude....but where??? 
I see the section I referenced above ...
And then I see the section on 'Traits the modify dice' but that does not even reference this scenario.  It mainly discusses when you should modify the effect dice roll.
Is there  a passage that I am glossing over without realizing it?

tarkin84

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 11:41:18 AM »
And battle fury says that after the attack action , it may immediately make another quick action melee attack. I read that as 2 separate attack actions. So melee, ranged, bloodthirsty, etc bonuses would all be applied for the second strike of battle fury.
However, what if whirling strike is used. These strikes are all during the same attack action as far as I can tell, so would Tarok's bonus work on multiple flying creatures.

Battle fury was errata'd to avoid melee +X applying to the second attack. With the new text the second strike takes place in the same sequence that the first one, as if the creature had doublestrike.
My Mage Wars blog (in Spanish): www.gatetovoltari.blogspot.com

pixcalcis

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013, 12:01:02 PM »
Ahhh, I assumed that the text in the FAQ was the most updated version. I suppose I should have payed attention to the date of the FAQ.

Thank you for that!

tarkin84

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2013, 12:47:22 PM »
No problem.

The most recent errata was published a month ago. It affects Battle fury, Hand of Bim-Shalla and Temple of light. You can check it on the forum.
My Mage Wars blog (in Spanish): www.gatetovoltari.blogspot.com

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2013, 12:56:25 PM »
I apologize, I thought this aspect of the modifers was in the current FAQ. Lets hope it makes it into the next one.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest