May 22, 2024, 08:17:38 AM

Author Topic: Upkeep Phase: Order of Effects  (Read 2975 times)

metadust

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Upkeep Phase: Order of Effects
« on: April 03, 2013, 01:18:44 AM »
So in a game today, Beastmaster Vs. Warlock, we had ended a round with 2 Burn on a creature, while the creature also had Regen 2.

The beginning of the next round initiative had passed to the warlock, but during upkeep there was a bit of a problem with what effects would be accounted for in what order.

Would you always calculate damage before other properties during upkeep?

I couldn't find anything about it in the codex, as to whether or not damage takes priority over healing properties during upkeep. This creature had 2 Life left and would have a much better/worse chance of surviving depending on whether it could regenerate before/after taking possible burn damage.

I had ruled that the damage takes priority because it is the Warlock's priority, it would seem to make more sense to have all damage be accounted for during upkeep so as to increase their effectiveness. I'd contest Regen 2 can be a pretty big deal on a 10+ hp creature, so it only seems right that status effects aren't gimped in the only situation they can be partially effective, which is negating regenerative effects and possibly killing someone before they get a chance to recover proper.

HeatStryke

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Re: Upkeep Phase: Order of Effects
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 02:50:50 AM »
To my understanding effects resolve in initative order. If the Warlock has initiative then the burn would be applied first, and vice versa if the BM had it.

DarthDadaD20

• Dark Father of Random Occurrence/TeamRocket Grunt
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 02:58:09 AM »
Rules book:CHAPTER FOUR: THE GAME ROUND Pg.11

You always choose the order in which events that affect your creatures and objects occur during the upkeep phase.
In the rare case that a timing issue occurs, the player with the initiative decides the order.
Where does my greatest enemy lie?
It has been around since the dawn of time,
it follows your loved ones as well as mine,
takes the form of a mountain as well as a flower,
it cannot be outrun by the greatest of power.
Within Shad0w.

DarthDadaD20

• Dark Father of Random Occurrence/TeamRocket Grunt
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 03:02:12 AM »
(Edit)
Example: You control a Highland Unicorn with the Regenerate 2 trait that has a Burn marker on it. Since
the creature has a lot of damage on it, the Burn effect could destroy it. You can choose to resolve the Regenerate trait first, before the Burn effect.
It has been around since the dawn of time,
it follows your loved ones as well as mine,
takes the form of a mountain as well as a flower,
it cannot be outrun by the greatest of power.
Within Shad0w.

metadust

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 03:21:36 AM »
That is great news although it may be a bit pointless to ever choose almost certain death over possible salvation. Bit late for my fox though.