May 15, 2024, 05:04:49 PM

Author Topic: Mage Wars Mondays - Episode 1  (Read 6647 times)

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Mage Wars Mondays - Episode 1
« on: May 05, 2014, 09:44:53 AM »
Today is the very first episode of Mage Wars Mondays! Scott and I joined Let's Level Up to make a brand new podcast. Every two weeks we'll be returning with more thoughts an insights into the game of Mage Wars. For the first episode we discussed how to go about choosing your Mage. Enjoy it >>HERE<<.

How did you pick your first Mage?

Lord0fWinter

• Warden of the North
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
  • www.magewars.weebly.com
    • View Profile
Re: Mage Wars Mondays - Episode 1
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 10:00:43 AM »
I just gravitated towards the Wizard, as I do in most games. I loved his versatility of picking from the elemental schools. My roommate really liked the Beastmaster because he loves swarm builds and obviously the BM is perfect for that. As soon as the Druid came out and I played her, I switched to her though. Love her versatility.

On a side note, Sardonyx is confirmed! Finally getting a dragon!
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 10:07:54 AM by Lord0fWinter »
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
Visit my Mage Wars blog at www.magewars.weebly.com, also check me out on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/MageWarsBlog and on twitter at @MageWarsBlog

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 10:16:54 AM »
I choose priestess because of her Soldier and Knight creatures and thanks to her archers, i win my first tournament in MW.

I must say, i nearly fainted when i learned about heavy soldier oriented warlord but that is a different story :)
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

Wise fool

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 10:17:27 AM »
Picked the Beastmaster because I looked through all the starter decks, noticed he had no answer for ranged attacks and figured he'd be the most challenging.  My wife picked the Priestess because she had a unicorn....  The priestess and her unicorn pasted my forest army the first two times I played.  The first game I tried swarming and found that level 1's are quite easy to kill.  The next game, between Aegis and the *&^% unicorn and heal spells I couldn't kill anything!  I got close, within 4 life points of winning, but couldn't close the deal. 

I still like the Beastmaster for thematic reasons.  And I like underdogs.  Not that the Beastmaster is necessarily an underdog when played by someone other than me. ;)  I did manage to win with the Beastmaster against the wizard, but only because my wife panicked when the Tegu rotted her and she forgot she could teleport away from my beasties. 

klaymen

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2014, 10:18:54 AM »
I can't wait until I return home from work so that I can listen to it.

Aylin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2014, 10:36:15 AM »
My first game was as a Priestess; I wanted to summon Valshalla.

My opponent focused her down before she could act however. Still managed to murder the opponent's Wizard with 2 Royal Archers though.

Lately I play more Druid or Forcemaster though.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2014, 01:08:29 PM »
Druid currently. Then What I am playtesting  :P
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

zot

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2014, 05:36:04 PM »
Wizard.

I did not look at any cards or stats. I always play a wizard as a class when I play d&d, so it was not a consideration to play anything else. And to me a mage is a wizard. The names are synonomous to me.

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2014, 07:08:39 PM »
Wizard.

I did not look at any cards or stats. I always play a wizard as a class when I play d&d, so it was not a consideration to play anything else. And to me a mage is a wizard. The names are synonomous to me.

I can totally see that. When I first got the game, I kept calling them all Wizards.

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2014, 12:00:52 AM »
My roommate bought a core copy, he picked Priestess because of the healing capability. I picked Beast Master cause I've always liked the nature based casters in DnD. Stuck with him because I love his animals, big fan of the enchantments, and I've gotten pretty good with him.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2014, 01:40:47 AM »
I picked the beastmaster first. Mostly because I liked his quick summon ability and the idea of a swarm, but also admittedly because I liked the way he looked. I still use his art card for other mages on occasion.

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2014, 02:02:57 AM »
My first game was with a Warlock, but that was because I was playing with someone else's spellbook, as I didn't have mine with me.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

Master Ruprecht

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2014, 03:57:13 AM »
I started with the Warlock and was looking forward to playing the Necromancer (for thematic reasons, I like to be evil in games  ;D).

Turns out I like the Druid much more though...  8)

Death-from-above

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
  • This is some really personal text
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2014, 07:05:39 AM »
When my friend first got the game, I didn't know which one to choose. All of the mages looked powerful. The Warlock, though, looked the toughest and I said to myself "oh yeah, this guy can't lose!". His character art made him look all powerful. I then found out that looks arn't everything when I got my butt handed to me by old man Wizard. The Gorgan and the Hydra annihilated me.

I still had fun with it though. Afterwords I really began to enjoy playing the Beastmaster due to the variety of creatures at his disposal.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Why am I not a banana?"
"Because your genetic code dictates that you are human. However it should please you to know that you share 50-60% of your DNA with a banana."
"Thanks man"
"Are you telling me that some people are 10% more banana than other people?"

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2014, 07:16:11 AM »
I have a evil side in me and Warlock is my favorite mage. There is also the Warlord that is my second because I always like to be a general of armies in games. Make my minions do the dirty work.