May 16, 2024, 02:11:17 AM

Author Topic: UK interest  (Read 52161 times)

jk_selwyn

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: UK interest
« Reply #60 on: November 05, 2013, 03:55:29 AM »
Yes, I'm a definite

DeckBuilder

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 05, 2013, 08:37:52 AM »
Great, so am I. Time?
Others? Come on UK users & lurkers. London Waterloo Mad Hatter 30th.
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye. And then it's just fun.

jk_selwyn

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 06, 2013, 10:52:06 AM »
I live quite close, so whatever is best for those with longer travel times

jk_selwyn

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 18, 2013, 06:17:02 AM »
Can people confirm they are coming on the 30th? Who's still in? Also, what time suits everybody?

DeckBuilder

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 18, 2013, 12:12:51 PM »
I can make from say midday assuming there is a turn out of 4 pledged here.

2 of us so far...

jk_selwyn

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 20, 2013, 06:40:28 AM »
Ok, we'll see what the state of play is at the end of this week and go from there

Mrmt

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 23, 2013, 09:32:32 AM »
Just got Mage Wars, and think it could be a keeper. I even ordered the Druid expansion, a first for me with an LCG. It's a shame that these games seem to come and go so fast, as I instinctively prefer this to Netrunner... but I have a feeling somehow somewhere I will find people to get into this.

I'm not that interested in formal competitive play - I haven't even graduated from the pre-built decks yet -  but wouldn't mind finding a quiet pub somewhere to get some practice (beyond my 7 year old son!). I  live in Farnham, UK, and wondered whether anyone else within a half hour radius might be interested in a game of an evening?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 10:06:00 AM by Mrmt »

aravar

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 25, 2013, 03:59:56 AM »
Hey, I'm based in London and like playing Mage Wars. Plus I know a few guys from just north of London who like to play.

Unfortunately I've already got plans for the 30th, so won't be able to make it along, but it would be good to get involved if there's another one!

jk_selwyn

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 27, 2013, 04:00:49 AM »
Ok, it seems like the 30th is a bust. No worries though, I know most if not all were coming from out of London. We should try and aim for something in January, it gives us lots of time to organize and I assume everyone's schedules will be clearer.
@Aravar: good to hear! We definitely need to hook up :-)

The Dude

• Hitchhiker of sorts
  • Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
  • It's like... good gracious...bodacious.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 06, 2013, 07:48:58 PM »
Definitely wish I could make it out across the pond to meet with you guys! But I will be there in spirit. You two might want to try out getting just you two together once every week, or month. I know getting people together can be a lot easier with two heads rather than one, as well, it may be easier for just the two of you to meet, rahter than a bunch of people. It's to start small with a local player base, and build from there. So get together and sling some spells! People will only join from there on!

That may not have helped at all, I'm just excited to see two players that live close together and are interested in the game enough to meet. Don't spoil it my friends!!
  • Favourite Mage: Johktari Beastmaster
Always carry a towel...

DeckBuilder

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 07, 2013, 02:04:04 AM »
Is any Mage Wars player in the London area going to Dragonmeet today?
If you are, PM me here (will pick up on phone) and we can meet to arrange for future MW duels.
I'm half tempted to take my Mage Wars stuff there and Spread The Word...
(There's a whole untapped market of role-players who'd love this game)

aravar

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 08, 2013, 04:42:00 PM »
Yes, I am keen to play more mage wars. Shall we plan a time in January since December from here on is subsumed by Christmas.

@DeckBuilder - I was there. Totally forgot to bring mage wars stuff though. Didn't see any sign of it either though, did you make any converts?

DeckBuilder

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 08, 2013, 06:36:52 PM »
Yes, let's meet in January with a few others? I want to broaden my Mage Wars experience (even downloaded OCTGN - gulp!) as I'm concerned my local Brighton meta is adversely constraining the creativity of my builds.

Any other near-London player interested in meeting in January please post here?
(jkselwyn suggested the Mad Hatter in Waterloo where I've played games at before)

As for Dragonmeet, no, I didn't bring Mage Wars. Too bulky to bring on an off-chance.

I played some other games that were UTTER RUBBISH in comparison to Mage Wars.

Lords of War (Blue Box Games) was demo'd extensively (you couldn't have missed it) and has a nice mechanic to differentiate it from Summoner Wars but is bland, little difference really between the 4 factions (Elves, Dwarves, Orcs, Lizardmen). It's all tactics and no strategy and very little customisation. I still bought it (both packs for £20 seemed cheap).

Tash-Kalar: Arena of Legends (Zman Games) was a rubbish boardgame; poor components for £46 (Mage Wars is only £4 more, cheaper on Amazon) and so one-dimensionsal, utterly lacking in flavour in a theme that nobody can relate to. What a waste of my time. It really made me appreciate what an amazing game and what amazing value Mage Wars is.

Might & Magic: Duel of Champions was a PC game I was initially attracted to because the art is beautiful (if a bit samey, probably the same artist). But the mechanics are so simple, like Yugi-oh. Ugh. And the cards are so very derivative. I am surprised Wizards of the Coast haven't sued this French independent. Ho hum.

These disappointments made me realise just how lucky I am to have found Mage Wars and local friends who play it.

I enjoyed some Indy Roleplay Games (Microscope, Fiasco, Dungeon World was the best) which were nice ideas that still need polishing.

But all in all, it just made me realise how I would far prefer to have been playing Mage Wars!

aravar

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 09, 2013, 10:40:22 AM »
The Mad Hatter sounds like a good shout if they are happy with an invasion of people playing games. Though I've never been myself.

@DeckBuilder I played Lords of War and Tash-Kalar at Dragonmeet and had really different reactions. To me neither of them were that similar to Mage Wars, and I enjoyed both. Lords of War was a tight little tactical game that felt like there could be some hidden depths around tricking your opponent into certain placements. Tash-Kalar was interesting because of the shifting ebb and flow it had, and in particular that felt like there could be a lot more going on once you'd got used to the basics.

Neither were as flavoursome or thematic as Mage Wars, but both felt tighter and more focused to me, and just different experiences. Different opinions Yeah!

Anyway, back to discussing meeting up. I'll throw the first weekend out there as a possibility, Sunday 5th?
Hopefully that misses people's Christmas plans, but isn't so far away everyone (me) forgets!

DeckBuilder

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 09, 2013, 11:06:22 AM »
Sunday the 5th at the Mad Hatter is ok for me. Anyone else? Coming from Brighton, I'd rather a group of 4...

I see your points about those other 2 games. Maybe I was harsh. I found it odd that this is a convention full of roleplayers who value THEME primarily. Both those games are very mechanics driven and not very flavoursome, lacking in theme which Mage Wars has oodles of. Despite my rules-precise leanings, I presonally value fantasy realism above all else (willing to house rule even) as I'm a role-player. AW really should target role-players as its adherence to fantasy realism is its USP in the market.

Maybe see you on the 5th if there is take-up, if not sometime later.