May 10, 2024, 03:05:48 AM

Author Topic: Necromancer vs Priestess  (Read 9208 times)

baronzaltor

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
Re: Necromancer vs Priestess
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2013, 02:00:07 PM »
Easiest way for Necromancer to deal with flyers is Main Wings, they only cost him 1 spell point per copy to run.

He can also run Necropian Vampiress for her selective flying ability to "leap" at troublesome fliers, and since she's living she doesn't suffer from the non-living damage bonus on most light attacks if guarding and since she's vampiric she can heal herself if you are running Pestillence Idol or anything like that.  Vampiric also makes her a great guard, since she gets to heal herself on the counterstrike.  Skeletal Archers, or even Flaming Hellions can offer ranged support and the Necromancer can use Drain Soul/Life as a finisher against a flier.  (Drain Soul is nice because it puts Taint markers on them, which then lets you melt the creature with your Plague Master ability)

Also, if the Deathshroud Staff isn't your thing you can run Mage Staff instead and give yourself the Reach Trait to hit back at fliers.  Being a Dark Mage the Necromancer can also use Sectarus if you want to play him more aggressively. With Sectarus you can "lead from the front" a bit and cast things like Rise Again or Marked for Death while softening up a creature.  Marked for Death is a good play for the Necromancer since you can't use buffs like Bear Strength to boost non-living minions, and the more creatures you have attacking the more damage it generates every round. 

Using Cloak of Shadows + Demonhide Armor (or even just leather armors), and guarding on your mage can help protect your troops from that light attack bonus/Staff of Asyra, and keep the damage low on your end.   the Light -2 means you are very hard to Stun, as most holy effects stun on 9, 10 or higher on the effect die.  Also, Agony helps counter out the damage bonus on holy creatures as well.  Cloak of Shadows can be particularly annoying for the Priest, as he doesn't have a non-Light melee attack to opt for to get around the Light-2, though he can of course use his auto-burn.

One of the biggest annoyance the Priestess offers against the Necromancer is that she can always remove poison conditions before you really get an opportunity to get much mileage out of your Plague Master ability, its especially pesky if you are trying to use Ichthilleds as she can purge its egg from the creature and prevent the hatch from occurring.

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2013, 03:58:54 PM »
Very nice post, Baronzaltor. I hadn't even considered the Cloak of Shadows. My Priest really does not like that.

DeckBuilder

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2013, 04:06:06 PM »
1) The only thing unique to the Priest/Priestess that I can find that has a bonus vs non-living creatures is the Staff of Asyra. Besides that, there are a few Holy spells that also have such a bonus, but any mage can use those including future Holy mages, it just happens that the Priest/Priestess is currently the best at utilizing them. Those few holy spells are Samandriel, Pillar of Light, and Blinding Flash. That is all.

Temple of Light? Pay 1 for 3 attack daze/stun ready marker action burst? It's like a Wizard's Tower with a very cheap Pillar of Light.

The problem with Necromancer is his match-ups, too many silver bullets out there.
3 Nature Mages will now pack Kralathor.
2 Holy Mages have Light attacks vs Non-Living.
Wizards/Forcemaster destroy his swarm with Obelisk/Orb and have greater mobility with Teleport/Force spells.
Warlock has Fire and Chains against Resilient (though Deathlock and total Poison Immunity hurts the Warlock).
Warlord has Sniper Watchtower behind a corner Wall (though Pestilence kills him, with Deathlock if Regrowth).

I'm not saying the Necromancer is weak (he has interesting synergies like "last action animate dead Malacoda"), just that he faces many silver bullets. To minimise these worries, you end up over-distilling the essence of his synergies. So you end up taking gambles that you won't meet a particular match-up. Just like my dislike of d12, I shy away from polarised builds which can sometimes give you walkovers and sometimes is walked over, it's just match-up lottery. It's why I avoid Jokhtari. She is amazing in some match-ups (now with Raptors, Thornlashers and Stanglevine) but Wounded Prey is useless against Necromancer and Earth Wizard (who now has 4 Oozes to add to 4 Golems for leveraging Necromancer's non-living synergies without his undead liability).

In fact, despite Corrode (which ended up peripheral), if you create a crosstab of mage vs. mage, Earth Wizard's 8x non-living level 3s build comes out possibly strongest against other mages. Last time, he stole Warlord's Earth spells. Now he steals Necromancer's Non-Living synergies. 4 Golems, 4 Oozes, 4 Wands, 4 Teleports, just add other tricks to suit taste. The only thing to compete with Brute's cost-benefit ratio are Golems and Oozes (which do not trigger Bloodthirsty).

So far the most interesting Zombie build I've devised is "Forcemaster Brute Squad", opening sprint to NC then 4 Zombie Brutes turns 2-5 and possibly 14 Channel by turn 5 (as per my post in Zuberi's Zombie Horde thread), using Forcemaster's unrivalled ability to manipulate board position (Force Pull, Stumble, Force Hold, Force Push, Force Wave) to allow your Brute Squad to solely focus on enemy mage only (moving a guard away or a mage from multiple guards) while Forcemaster utilises her own defences against any counter-aggro. As I am learning the subtleties of this awesome-looking Jedi/Sith Lord, I am excited to see if this works but the theory (Force spells complement Lumbering Brutes perfectly) feels sound. Although I'll probably slow down mana acceleration for the spell action advantage of a Forge.

Maybe the undead horde works. Just that a horde is by definition a "win more" over-commitment, waiting for an Obelisk to fall in a guarded distant corner. It just feels like "over-playing your hand". I hope I'm wrong because thematically, raising the dead is much more appealing than tending to my garden.

The Druid on the other hand seems so much fun (once you suspend disbelief). Bear Strength on Raptor Vines. Hawkeyed Thornlashers snatching through Bloodspine Walls into a safe Eagle Winged Vine Snapper and Togorah with Cobra Reflexes (shame no counter strike). I never thought I'd like vegetables so much. Shame she dies to fire (Renewing Rain doesn't solve Flame +2). It's a match-up lottery again.

Back to the thread: I think a certain flying skeletal undead dragon not making the cut may have been crucial to Necromancer's competitive viability. I truly hope I'm wrong.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 04:41:30 PM by DeckBuilder »
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye. And then it's just fun.

Douglas_Anders

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2013, 05:07:36 PM »
Ok, about my first question,
I posted a suggested build that would love to face an opponent that gave it time to build up, in which by turn 3 I was producing 17 mana per turn and 2 creatures + a quick spell per turn, without having cast any mana crystals or harmonizes. /quote]
Where is a link to this list?

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2013, 05:26:00 PM »