May 21, 2024, 03:41:49 PM

Author Topic: Druid - Predator  (Read 5119 times)

BoomFrog

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Druid - Predator
« on: October 07, 2014, 04:08:19 PM »
The focus of the book is to play [mwcard=mw1c26]Necropian Vampiress[/mwcard] in a Druid book.  The druid lacks a good counter to flying and ranged strategies and the Vampiress is good against both.  She is very durable and mobile, she is probably the best creature you can summon while still efficiently using your other actions.  The way to efficiently use your actions without spending a lot of mana is to bank them for later by casting enchantments and seedling pods. 

Seedling pods are surprisingly useful when you cast them turn 2 but don't actually want to spend the full mana cost of a creature until turn 5+.  They are better then a mana flower because they give you your spent action back.  And being able to deploy a Wall of Thorns is a good trick, and just the potential is quite threatening.  However if your opponent is being aggressive you won't be casting any pods.

Turn 1: 19 Mana
Vine Tree (9), Enchanter's Ring (2), Mana Left: 8

Turn 2: 18 Mana + 1 Tree Mana
Vampiress (16), Enchant (1), Mana Left: 1+1T

Turn 3: 11 Mana + 2 Tree Mana
Deploy Thornlasher (5+2), (Enchant (1), Seedlingpod/melee/dispel/dissolve

If the opponent is being defensive I'll go with:
Turn 2: Deploy Seedling Pod (2+1), Seedling Pod (3), Enchant (1), Mana Left: 12
Turn 3: Deploy Deedling Pod (2+1), Vampiress (16), Enchant (1), Mana Left: 3+1+1

Against a necromancer play Kralathor instead of the Vampiress.

[spellbook]
[spellbookheader]
[spellbookname]Predator[/spellbookname]
[mage]Druid[/mage]
[/spellbookheader]
[spells]
[spellclass]Attack[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1a08]1 x  Geyser[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNA01]4 x  Acid Ball[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Conjuration[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1j22]1 x  Tanglevine[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1w04]3 x  Wall of Thorns[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNJ12]1 x  Vine Tree[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWJ08]1 x  Renewing Spring[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNW01]3 x  Bloodspine Wall[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNJ08]3 x  Seedling Pod[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNJ03]1 x  Etherian Lifetree[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Creature[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1c26]1 x  Necropian Vampiress[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNC06]1 x  Kralathor, The Devourer[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNC20]2 x  Vine Snapper[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNC21]3 x  Thornlasher[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNC10]1 x  Raptor Vine[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Enchantment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFE02]2 x  Akiro's Favor[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNE01]1 x  Barkskin[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e01]2 x  Bear Strength[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e05]1 x  Cheetah Speed[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKE02]1 x  Divine Might[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWE03]1 x  Falcon Precision[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e23]1 x  Jinx[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFE06]1 x  Lion Savagery[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e28]1 x  Mongoose Agility[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e32]2 x  Regrowth[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e36]2 x  Rhino Hide[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e29]1 x  Nullify[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFE07]2 x  Rust[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e07]1 x  Cobra Reflexes[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Equipment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=DNQ06]1 x  Mohktari's Branch[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q09]1 x  Enchanter's Ring[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNQ09]1 x  Wand of Healing[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Incantation[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1i06]4 x  Dispel[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i07]4 x  Dissolve[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i12]3 x  Force Push[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i14]1 x  Heal[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i24]3 x  Seeking Dispel[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i28]3 x  Teleport[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i25]1 x  Shift Enchantment[/mwcard]
[/spells]
[cost]Total cost: 120 pts[/cost]
[/spellbook]

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
Re: Druid - Predator
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2014, 05:35:01 PM »
Seedling pod able to deploy wall of thorns?!?!?!? I cant believe I haven't thought of that.

Sorry for all the hate seedling pod - now I love you again!

Intangible0

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2014, 07:56:10 PM »
First off, that's a really good point about seedling pod. It's definitely a fire-and-forget spawn point.

I don't personally like the vampiress. I think an angel would be much stronger (although more expensive). Also knockdown force hold and slam effects are pretty good for taking care of pesky flying creatures. Once you bring them to the ground you can tangle vine them and try to kill them as fast as possible.

With this many seedling pods you should consider Samara tree instead. It allows you to throw one of the pods out and combined with tataree you can put a many on each summoned seedling pod. This means the turn after seedling pod comes out you can immediately cast out of it. Tataree is also a quick cast... the only quick cast creature in fact. Throw a brace yourself on it and it will survive flame strike/arc lightning.

With all those seedling pods you'll be able to summon more walls and creatures.

This may be a different idea you were going for but I've seen it work and with all those free actions and mana economy you'll be able to free up extra attacks with your Druid.
  • Favourite Mage: Johktari Beastmaster

BoomFrog

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2014, 09:53:56 PM »
I actually gave Sumara tree a legitimate try in this book.  The two mana saved turn 1 was really nice and let me get an extra pod out, but the downside is near the end of the game.  Around turn 4 or 5 I want to summon a bloodspine wall, or a vinesnapper and I want it immediately.  It's worth paying the extra 2 mana on turn 1 to get the immediate summoning on turn 4 -7.  Also, you can't put two seedling pods in the same zone which forces you to spread out your creatures too much.

I don't personally like the vampiress. I think an angel would be much stronger (although more expensive). Also knockdown force hold and slam effects are pretty good for taking care of pesky flying creatures. Once you bring them to the ground you can tangle vine them and try to kill them as fast as possible.
A) 16 mana is the most I can afford without skipping precious actions that I will miss later, B) Samandriel is probably easier to kill then a vampiress aside from the fact that she is flying, and as there are good ways to take care of flying on big targets.  And C) Vampiress is specifically good against Beastmaster Aviary (falcon swarm), which is otherwise a big problem for druid.

zorro

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2014, 06:28:51 AM »
And C) Vampiress is specifically good against Beastmaster Aviary (falcon swarm), which is otherwise a big problem for druid.

I have never faced a falcon swarm with the druid, but are not the thornslashers and Kralathor enough against it?. Also beastmaster's lifetree could help druid's plants and conjurations almost as much as the the birds if casted.

Edit: grammar :-P
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 09:49:26 AM by zorro »
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

V10lentray

• Member of Arcane Duels
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2014, 09:43:14 AM »
I new before that all "Vine" were "plant",  but not all "plant" were "Vine". So by using the seed pods to cast plants, you can doo all sorts of neat tricks.

Did you know that all the "tree" are also "plant" you can use the seedling pods to sprout Tree's all around the arena.

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2014, 09:51:56 AM »
The trees.... they are everywhere!

V10lentray

• Member of Arcane Duels
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2014, 09:59:51 AM »
there are only 5, and if you're playing pod, you probably have samara in play already.

Vine tree is Epic, Togorah and Motahki are legendary and Etherian life tree is unique.

BoomFrog

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2014, 12:43:43 PM »
And C) Vampiress is specifically good against Beastmaster Aviary (falcon swarm), which is otherwise a big problem for druid.

I have never faced a falcon swarm with the druid, but are not the thornslashers and Kralathor enough against it?. Also beastmaster's lifetree could help druid's plants and conjurations almost as much as the the birds if casted.

Edit: grammar :-P
Kralathor is pretty good against falcons, but you need to pick your creature turn 2 before you know what is coming out of the lair.  If it ends up being timber wolves Kralathor is not so great.  He needs to eat one enemy to be as good as the vampiress and two to be better then her.  By the time you've killed two timber wolves the game is already swinging in your favor.  He's good, but the vampiress is better right away which is important.  And she is much better against a solo mage like a forcemaster.