May 14, 2024, 11:39:13 PM

Author Topic: I'd like to Give Huginns a hug, but I need help  (Read 8698 times)

Fentum

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
I'd like to Give Huginns a hug, but I need help
« on: June 23, 2013, 09:51:50 AM »
I have been running an Air Wizard. Pretty basic control build. Teleport wand, lightning wand, arcane creatures.

I'd like to use Huggins as he is thematic and he is in my book. I just never seem to find a good time to play him. Am I missing something? What would be good uses of Huggins in an Air Wizard control build, or, in fact, in any build?

jmoodie

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: I'd like to Give Huginns a hug, but I need help
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 10:10:10 AM »
Teleport. Teleport. Teleport. Dispel. Dissolve. He gives you an extra action and he's really hard to hit.

Fentum

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 10:17:35 AM »
I like the idea of the extra action, but I usually have something better to do at the point when I could bring out Huggie Bear.

In this build, I have teleport on a wand as I will use it multiple times. I just can't get it into mt head that Huggie is worth bringing out for the Dispel, Dissolve, etc actions. I could well be wrong, and I may just try him out regardless next time. I did bring him out once (with a minor heal) and he got killed next turn by a Flameblast!

tarkin84

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 11:53:40 AM »
Unavoidable spell attacks, knockdown, any effect which can slam and falcon precission on a flyer will also make your bird toast :D
My Mage Wars blog (in Spanish): www.gatetovoltari.blogspot.com

Fentum

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013, 11:56:48 AM »
Unavoidable spell attacks, knockdown, any effect which can slam and falcon precission on a flyer will also make your bird toast :D

I'm with you. Huggins seems a vulnerable mana sink to me right now. I am hoping that better players can help to give ideas as to how he can be used well.

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2013, 02:26:22 PM »
He's nice for supporting slow creatures, since he can cast Teleport/Force Push to force your opponent to engage, which leaves you free to do other things to lock them down like Force Hold and Nullify/Jinx. I like to do that with Iron Golems and Earth Elemental with my Earth Wizard build. He can also Force Push people through passage attack walls that they're on the other side of. Add the ability to deal with enchantments/equipment, and he can be pretty versatile. Vulnerable certainly, but versatile.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

MrSaucy

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2013, 03:54:56 PM »
I don't like playing him because he is vulnerable, spells don't bind to him, and 11 mana is kinda steep for something that can get killed in one turn and is only there to provide an extra turn advantage.
"See you space cowboy..."

Fentum

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2013, 04:50:43 PM »
I don't like playing him because he is vulnerable, spells don't bind to him, and 11 mana is kinda steep for something that can get killed in one turn and is only there to provide an extra turn advantage.

That is where my head is at right now.

Fentum

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2013, 04:52:24 PM »
He's nice for supporting slow creatures, since he can cast Teleport/Force Push to force your opponent to engage, which leaves you free to do other things to lock them down like Force Hold and Nullify/Jinx. I like to do that with Iron Golems and Earth Elemental with my Earth Wizard build. He can also Force Push people through passage attack walls that they're on the other side of. Add the ability to deal with enchantments/equipment, and he can be pretty versatile. Vulnerable certainly, but versatile.

These all sound good options, but I find that by the time I want to do those things, I have a more pressing need for the mage's action than to summon Huggie. Do you summon him 'early' and put him on standby?

nitrodavid

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
    • East Coast Hobbies
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2013, 07:04:38 PM »
from memory of mythology that bird is supposed to have a brother or twin not sure. I just know one bird belongs on somebody's right shoulder and the other left. I can't wait to see what the other bird does. maybe enchantments and he might be able to dispel them.
Being Aussie we place all our cards face down, apart from enchantments which are face up

jmoodie

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2013, 08:36:46 PM »
Like most mana producers, I think an early summon is key to value. Yes an unavoidable ranged attack is a problem for him, but short of that, he's a real nuisance.

He needs to be kept back when possible, but he's more than worth it. If your opponent doesn't get rid of him, they will rue it. He can teleport your Mage out of trouble and his teleports are more powerful because he had Los over walls. He makes you so versatile.

Spotting hidden enchantments is also incredibly worthwhile.

I initially felt the same way you do. He seemed too expensive. But as long as he's out he gives you a mana and ap advantage. I tend to favor him in my wizard builds.

With that said, he doesn't make sense in every wizard build. If you're not reliant on tons of meta magic, he's probably not a great play.

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2013, 10:00:12 PM »
I don't usually play Huginn immediately, but I need to experiment with that.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2013, 07:42:19 AM »
Flying + Teleport = Teleport over walls. This bring a huge control of the board advantage.

Wiz-Pig

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2013, 02:46:30 PM »
from memory of mythology that bird is supposed to have a brother or twin not sure. I just know one bird belongs on somebody's right shoulder and the other left. I can't wait to see what the other bird does. maybe enchantments and he might be able to dispel them.

Huggin and Munnin. Thought and Memory. They were Odin's ravens in Norse mythology.

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2013, 03:23:24 PM »
Has anyone tried enchanting him with Bull Endurance? This might give him enough life so that the opponent doesn't want to spend two actions to take him down and thereby extend his staying power.

Just a thought...
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin