May 14, 2024, 01:30:49 AM

Author Topic: Moonglow Faerie  (Read 4561 times)

rodriguekhalil

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Moonglow Faerie
« on: May 20, 2015, 03:01:12 PM »
   In the series "Spells that exist but rarely end up in any Spellbook", I nominate [mwcard=MW1C27]Moonglow Faerie[/mwcard].

Has anybody found use to this creature spell?

So far, all I can see is the following, and she's not even the best for these applications:

1- It's a flying creature, so less easily damaged, and has a 58% chance of avoiding attacks, great reusable defense. All right, she can survive, but for what? 2 to 6 SPB invested in what?

2- Great weapon against incorporeal objects, but [mwcard=MWSTX1CKE02]Divine Might[/mwcard] and [mwcard=MW1Q18]Mage Staff[/mwcard] do it better for less mana.

3- Great for triggering guards, a Forcefield or a Voltaric shield.  Agreed, but so can any other cheaper creature (Feral bobcat, for instance)

Okay, I got that far. Any other reason I should include her in any of my spellbooks?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 03:02:52 PM by rodriguekhalil »

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
Re: Moonglow Faerie
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 05:01:49 PM »
In the longer view perhaps the alternate Druid will come with abilities that trigger off faeries?
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin

echephron

• Player
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • The finest in mage wear...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 07:23:25 PM »
I like one as my backup guardian angel in a tinkerbell book. They are good at staying alive(w/ brace yourself/bulls endurance) so I can spam a bunch of enchantments on them.

i think the real problem is not enough incorporeals.

rodriguekhalil

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 07:37:02 PM »
Actually, correct if I'm wrong but Moonglow Faerie has the pest trait and, as such, can't be used as a guard. Well, technically, it could, but it doesn't do anything more than giving her attack the counterstrike trait.

right?

Kharhaz

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 09:31:58 PM »
Actually, correct if I'm wrong but Moonglow Faerie has the pest trait and, as such, can't be used as a guard. Well, technically, it could, but it doesn't do anything more than giving her attack the counterstrike trait.

right?

right

echephron

• Player
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • The finest in mage wear...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2015, 07:16:10 PM »
by replacement for GA i meant replace in that strategy of pile on enchantments and if they die, get purged, or you get out a kralathor move the enchantments somewhere else. no guarding necessary.

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2015, 10:49:35 PM »
It's an interesting card!

I wouldn't take the Faerie with any other mage but the Wizard. 2 Spellbook points is a crazy amount for this creature! The way I see it, most mages won't want to waste attacks on it. The 2 dice for the faeries attack is not that intimidating. If they use up spells that are unavoidable then I would consider it a win! I would focus mainly on using this creature to use up spellbook points from your opponents book. Statistically a surging wave won't kill this creature (but the slam might have a follow up that will) and a flame blast will barely kill it! Not a creature I would cast, but that's how I would use it.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Kharhaz

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2015, 11:09:29 PM »
It's an interesting card!

I wouldn't take the Faerie with any other mage but the Wizard. 2 Spellbook points is a crazy amount for this creature! The way I see it, most mages won't want to waste attacks on it. The 2 dice for the faeries attack is not that intimidating. If they use up spells that are unavoidable then I would consider it a win! I would focus mainly on using this creature to use up spellbook points from your opponents book. Statistically a surging wave won't kill this creature (but the slam might have a follow up that will) and a flame blast will barely kill it! Not a creature I would cast, but that's how I would use it.

Agreed, currently wizard only

Surging wave cannot target her unless she loses flying ;)

Personally the most success I have had from this gal is in combination with [mwcard=MWSTX1CKE04]Enchantment Transfusion[/mwcard] and using her as the unexpected recipient.

She is a card that has an opportunity to grow as Mage Wars expands

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2015, 10:47:06 AM »
Two spellbook points and eight mana casting cost? There aren't a lot of incorporeal items out there, I don't think. I suppose you could try to use her as a Wizard's curse transfuser, but I don't know the she really is worth it otherwise.
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

rodriguekhalil

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2015, 01:10:03 PM »
Two spellbook points and eight mana casting cost? There aren't a lot of incorporeal items out there, I don't think. I suppose you could try to use her as a Wizard's curse transfuser, but I don't know the she really is worth it otherwise.

Well, she is still one of the cheapest Arcane Creature, right after the Blue Gremlin (one less mana).

So, 8 mana is not that much, relatively speaking. So, for the mana/level ratio, you are still winning.