May 18, 2024, 09:24:53 AM

Author Topic: Fireshaper Ring and Explode // Hellfire Trap  (Read 4760 times)

Taruslar

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Fireshaper Ring and Explode // Hellfire Trap
« on: June 20, 2013, 07:23:24 AM »
Hi to all,

does the bonus from Fireshaper Ring counts for Explode and Hellfire Trap? It is written for all Attacks that deal Firedamage, but Explode and Hellfiretrap are an Incantation/Enchantment.

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
Re: Fireshaper Ring and Explode // Hellfire Trap
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 07:35:13 AM »
Fireshaper ring says:
"Mage gains the Melee +1 and Ranged +1 traits for all attacks he makes that deal flame damage."

From this we can see that the priestess and the forcemaster and a possible future warlock lady will not benefit from this ring.

Oh... and both explode and hellfire trap are not attacks so they dont get the bonus.
Also they specificly say that they themselves do the attack - not the mage. Ring says "when mage".
No bonus.

MrSaucy

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 06:12:11 PM »
Fireshaper ring says:
"Mage gains the Melee +1 and Ranged +1 traits for all attacks he makes that deal flame damage."

From this we can see that the priestess and the forcemaster and a possible future warlock lady will not benefit from this ring.

Oh... and both explode and hellfire trap are not attacks so they dont get the bonus.
Also they specificly say that they themselves do the attack - not the mage. Ring says "when mage".
No bonus.

I think you are wrong. I thought Explode counted as an attack. It says on the card "Then, Explode makes the above flame attack against the target mage." It is an attack and it deals fire damage, so the fireshaper ring does influence it, right? I haven't needed to know these things because I never use fire in my spellbooks. As for Hellfire trap, I am not sure if Fireshaper Ring affects it.
"See you space cowboy..."

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 06:24:16 PM »
Explode does make an attack. Fireshaper Ring does not influence it.

It's not a melee or ranged attack, and the mage isn't directly making the attack anyway, Explode is. I could be remembering the wording on Explode wrong in terms of whether the mage is considered to be making the attack, but I'm sure it's not a melee or ranged attack, so it doesn't benefit from Fireshaper Ring regardless.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

nitrodavid

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
    • East Coast Hobbies
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 06:47:11 PM »
true explode does not have the ranged or mele attack definition so it can't be enhanced by the ring only adds to mele or ranged attacks. Hawkeye, bear strength and other mele or range dice enchantments won't increase your dice

note: marked for death will not role extra dice because the attack "fiery blaze" is made from explode which is not a creature.
Being Aussie we place all our cards face down, apart from enchantments which are face up

MrSaucy

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2013, 04:28:44 AM »
Okay. Good to know.

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2013, 05:30:46 AM »
also stuff like forcefield and defenses cannot stop explode and Hellfire trap. (iirc)

Wiz-Pig

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2013, 07:05:52 AM »
@Jacksmacks I really really doubt that the pronoun he in that instance was meant to imply that only male mages can gain that benefit.

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2013, 08:45:42 AM »
@Jacksmacks I really really doubt that the pronoun he in that instance was meant to imply that only male mages can gain that benefit.

ofc not. dawnbreaker ring says he as well.

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2013, 01:21:13 PM »
Defenses can't stop the Explode attack because it's unavoidable, but how does that apply to Forcefield? It works against unavoidable attacks.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2013, 01:11:11 PM »
Maybe im confusing it with drain life.

MrSaucy

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2013, 05:41:25 PM »
Defenses can't stop the Explode attack because it's unavoidable, but how does that apply to Forcefield? It works against unavoidable attacks.

Yeah, I was just about to say that. The Declare Attack step comes before the Avoid Attack step. Forcefield works immediately after the Declare Attack step. It doesn't matter if an attack is unavoidable because Forcefield isn't a Defense. It makes sense because a Forcefield isn't designed to avoid attacks, just absorb them, you know?

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2013, 05:57:31 PM »
Well... it doesnt make sense that forcefield stops damage from your armor when it explodes... Forcefield Works before defense so it stops attacks before they get close to u... explode is in your face.

MrSaucy

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2013, 06:02:38 PM »
Explode = Dissolve + Fire Attack. Forcefield doesn't do anything about Dissolve, so your armor is gone. Forcefield does stop the fire attack because it is an attack.