May 05, 2024, 07:16:44 AM

Author Topic: Terrifying Warlock  (Read 6743 times)

Milevan_Faent

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Terrifying Warlock
« on: August 16, 2016, 11:18:13 PM »
[spellbook]
[spellbookheader]
[spellbookname]Terrifying Warlock[/spellbookname]
[mage]A Warlock Spellbook[/mage]
[mage]built by the OCTGN SBB[/mage]
[/spellbookheader]
[spells]
[spellclass]Early Game[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MW1J04]1 x Battle Forge[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1J17]1 x Pentagram[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1Q22]1 x Moonglow Amulet[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E27]1 x Marked for Death[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Attack[/spellclass]
[spellclass]Conjuration[/spellclass]
[spellclass]Creature[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFC02]2 x Blood Demon[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFC08]2 x Infernian Scourger[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1C01]1 x Adramelech, Lord of Fire[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Enchantment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFE04]4 x Brace Yourself[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E02]2 x Block[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E07]1 x Cobra Reflexes[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E14]1 x Enfeeble[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWPROMO29]1 x Debilitate[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E04]2 x Chains of Agony[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E08]1 x Death Link[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E09]1 x Agony[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E19]1 x Ghoul Rot[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E24]1 x Magebane[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E25]1 x Maim Wings[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E31]1 x Poisoned Blood[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNE02]1 x Rise Again[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFE03]1 x Arcane Corruption[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFE07]2 x Rust[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWE03]1 x Falcon Precision[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWPROMO17]1 x Critical Strike[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E01]1 x Bear Strength[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E28]1 x Mongoose Agility[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E05]1 x Cheetah Speed[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Equipment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=FWQ01]1 x Dancing Scimitar[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1Q12]2 x Helm of Fear[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1Q05]1 x Demonhide Armor[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWA01Q10]1 x Wychwood Ironvine[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1Q04]1 x Deflection Bracers[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWA01Q04]1 x Leather Chausses[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKQ04]1 x Reflex Boots[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNQ01]1 x Cloak of Shadows[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWPROMO26]1 x Spiked Buckler[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWQ09]1 x Sectarus, Dark Rune Sword[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1Q28]1 x Ring of Curses[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1Q09]1 x Enchanter's Ring[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Incantation[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MW1I11]2 x Explode[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1I08]1 x Drain Life[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWI11]2 x Dispel[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWI16]2 x Dissolve[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWI13]2 x Seeking Dispel[/mwcard]
[/spells]
[cost]Total cost: 120 pts[/cost]
[/spellbook]

I don't think the answer is yes, but if I cast a curse with the Ring of Curses on through the sword, does it get the discount? I'm pretty sure not, but I'd just like confirmation. Otherwise, what do you guys think of the deck? Recommendations? Good? Bad?

The main idea is to abuse the defenses to stay alive, while not letting up the attacks with the sword until they're dead.

Puddnhead

• Member of Arcane Duels; MageCast Co-host
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
Re: Terrifying Warlock
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2016, 11:23:29 PM »
Ring of Curses only gives you a discount when you reveal curse enchantments--not when you cast them.  So when you use the sword you essentially get a double discount: one when you cast it using the sword's channeling and one when you reveal using the ring.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

Milevan_Faent

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2016, 11:26:01 PM »
Ring of Curses only gives you a discount when you reveal curse enchantments--not when you cast them.  So when you use the sword you essentially get a double discount: one when you cast it using the sword's channeling and one when you reveal using the ring.

... I really need to stop skimming cards. I might notice things like "Enchantments only receive this discount when they are revealed." XD Still worth it. It seems only Nature mages can cast free Enchants.

Kharhaz

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2016, 11:26:43 PM »
Also of note, Sectarus is itself a curse and the ring does discount the blade if you end up casting it on yourself instead of the battle forge.

I would recommend attack spells

Milevan_Faent

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2016, 11:28:33 PM »
Also of note, Sectarus is itself a curse and the ring does discount the blade if you end up casting it on yourself instead of the battle forge.

I would recommend attack spells

I considered them, but then I ran out of space. I'm not convinced I'll need them either. I'd like to test it out to see if it's possible to play without them first.

RomeoXero

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2016, 12:03:08 AM »
You're gonna be real strapped for mana bro. That gram is a big cost and so is the forge. Using both on 10 channeling alone is going to be tougher than you think. If you plan on using the first few turns to crank stuff out of your spawnpoints anyway maybe use a meditation amulet instead of the willowwisp. You can get it off the forge, and then immediately use it then cast your pentagram. You are buying two actions with those two conjurations and you might find yourself mana poor before you know it. Just a thought.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 12:08:25 AM by RomeoXero »
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
I love this game. Its awesome!

Milevan_Faent

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2016, 12:10:32 AM »
You're gonna be real strapped for mana bro. That gram us a baby cost and so is the forge. Using both on 10 channeling alone is going to be tougher than you think. If you plan on using the first few turns to crank stuff out of your spawnpoints anyway maybe use a meditation amulet instead of the Moonglow. You can get it off the forge, and then immediate use it then cast your pentagram. You are buying two actions with those two conjurations and you might find yourself mana poor before you know it. Just a thought.

Generally you'd be right, except I'm also not trying to summon a bunch of creatures, and most of my cards typically will cost me a grant total of 1 (maybe 2) mana immediately, and the rest can be paid when I have the mana to spare. The deck can actually be very mana efficient. If I was trying to summon more, I'd maybe consider going for the Meditation, but the Pentagram is meant mostly for the first few turns, and as a distraction. Typically, an enemy is going to go after that fast to stop me from summoning a bunch, but all I need is my Blood Demon and Adramalech, and I'm good. I'd LIKE more, but that's all I NEED, and therein lies the key. I build up my mana to play those and my equipment, in between attacks and casting enchants for the first few turns through my sword. Eventually, all I need to worry about is the enchants for the most part, and that will be dirt cheap, not even straining the Battle Forge casts at that point, which is when they'll matter the most anyway.

I've tried a deck with a similar build, and almost always had upwards of 15 mana every 2-3 turns. This was a beastmaster deck, so it was obviously different, but in the long run I think mana won't be as much of a problem as it may at first seem.

Biblofilter

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2016, 12:15:40 AM »
No Academy Warlock cards? So you are asking about OCTGN?

I would cut a lot of stuff here..

Pentagram - with only 5 creatures in this book i don´t see any value in that. Adramalech could come out eventually but i would cut him as well. He is to expensive in my opinion.

If you want to play a high level creature try something like a Fire Elemental or Malacoda instead?

Whats your opening anyway?
Battle Forge and?

Id drop some of the defenses - switch Cobra Reflexes for Circle of Fire. Id rather have something like Vampiric than count on not being hit. Unavoidable seems a big problem for this book.

Cloak of Shadows might be dropped as your gameplan anyway is to be in the same zone as your opponent.

You might add 4 Elemental Wands or whatever amount you consider beeing enough so you can have a permanent wand and a Hurl Boulder, Flameblast x2, Surging Wave, Acid Ball - 20 spellbook points.

Suggestion to save 22 spellbookpoints:
Pentagram -4
Lord of Fire -4
Cobra Refelxes -2 (+ Circle of Fire)
Helm of Fear -2
Block -2
Dancing Scimitar -4
Spiked Buckler  -4

I believe you can have 2 Damage Barriers on at a time, but only 1 of those will work?

You might be in trouble if the opponent stays out of range of your Battle Forge or if you choose to put it in the center it might get destroyed to fast. Thats pretty standard but worse when you don't have ranged attacks and want to curse your opponent with the sword.

Hope this helps.
"Töten". "Alles Töten".
Best strat advice ever

Milevan_Faent

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2016, 12:28:23 AM »
You're right, this is for OCTGN. I don't play IRL. As far as Damage Barriers go, OCTGN automatically chooses which one goes off, or I'd have the Fire barrier already. Personally, the armor is worth more in the long run, as the extra damage, while nice, isn't worth all the mana it costs just to turn it on. I can get armor AND a damage barrier at a comparable price, with a potential discount that could be quite high if my Forge builds up a bit first.

As far as the wands goes, I prefer the mana-free damage I get from the Shield and Scimitar. Both can increase the damage I deal, as well as reduce the damage I take. Personally, I think everyone over-relies on Boulder, Force Hammer, and the other "must have" attack spells. Range is nice, but I'd like to see if I can build a deck that can out-damage the enemy without relying entirely on Attack Spells like those. That's also why I had Block, since it's a defense that always works.

I gotta go for a bit, so I'll leave that there, and reply to the rest of your suggestions later.

Puddnhead

• Member of Arcane Duels; MageCast Co-host
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2016, 08:14:35 AM »
You're right, this is for OCTGN. I don't play IRL. As far as Damage Barriers go, OCTGN automatically chooses which one goes off, or I'd have the Fire barrier already. Personally, the armor is worth more in the long run, as the extra damage, while nice, isn't worth all the mana it costs just to turn it on. I can get armor AND a damage barrier at a comparable price, with a potential discount that could be quite high if my Forge builds up a bit first.

As far as the wands goes, I prefer the mana-free damage I get from the Shield and Scimitar. Both can increase the damage I deal, as well as reduce the damage I take. Personally, I think everyone over-relies on Boulder, Force Hammer, and the other "must have" attack spells. Range is nice, but I'd like to see if I can build a deck that can out-damage the enemy without relying entirely on Attack Spells like those. That's also why I had Block, since it's a defense that always works.

I gotta go for a bit, so I'll leave that there, and reply to the rest of your suggestions later.

1) I would love the idea of playing without attack spells except for one issue: Tanglevine spam
2) Block only works if the attack is NOT unavoidable.  I know several people who use an unavoidable attack every time there's a face down enchantment on you.  You Must reveal Block even though it will do absolutely nothing.

Milevan_Faent

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2016, 08:17:49 AM »

1) I would love the idea of playing without attack spells except for one issue: Tanglevine spam
2) Block only works if the attack is NOT unavoidable.  I know several people who use an unavoidable attack every time there's a face down enchantment on you.  You Must reveal Block even though it will do absolutely nothing.

And then I know the enemy is going to be doing that and switch over to Brace and rapidly putting on my armor to protect against it. I only need one turn to know how to protect myself. If you dont have unavoidable, I can block it, and if you do, I'll brace it. I only need to take one hit to know how to deal with it.

As for Tanglevine, it's not even an issue when I can put on a weapon that smashes through it like nothing. Attack spells dont work against Tanglevine anyway.

Borg

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2016, 08:50:42 AM »
And then I know the enemy is going to be doing that and switch over to Brace and rapidly putting on my armor to protect against it. I only need one turn to know how to protect myself. If you dont have unavoidable, I can block it, and if you do, I'll brace it. I only need to take one hit to know how to deal with it.

Seeking Dispel, Dissolve, Disarm etc sound familiar ?

As for Tanglevine, it's not even an issue when I can put on a weapon that smashes through it like nothing. Attack spells dont work against Tanglevine anyway.

Except that that is what your opponent wants you to do, waste your actions on swinging at a Tanglevine.
Doesn't hurt his mage and he can prepare something for you next ...

"Actions" are one of your most vital resources in Mage Wars,
if you spend them lightly you'll end up losing more often than not.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 08:55:45 AM by Borg »

Milevan_Faent

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2016, 08:55:57 AM »

Seeking Dispel, Dissolve, Disarm etc sound familiar ?

Except that that is what your opponent wants you to do, waste your actions on swinging at a Tanglevine.
Doesn't hurt his mage and he can prepare something for you next ...

When you get hit with a tanglevine, you have to waste your actions on it ANYWAY. No choice there. You either teleport, destroy it, or sit there and cry. Not that it matters much to me. This deck one-shots it, and then I move back to killing him. If he has a few, yeah, he probably stalled me a few turns, and I still got armor and enchants while destroying it every single turn, so I'm making him waste mana, I'm making actual progress toward killing him, and he THINKS he's accomplished something. The sheer damage this deck can do kind of eliminates the ability for it to make Tanglevines dangerous. And the Ballistas too are a notable threat that can get around Tanglevine.

As for Dispel or Seeking Dispel dealing with my defenses, if it's brace, then that doesn't work as well, since I can activate it as soon as I cast it. For block, as I already said, if they're wasting mana dealing with that, I'll still have alternatives set up, or know how to respond to prevent future problems.

Milevan_Faent

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2016, 09:40:04 AM »
I get it.
Your deck is unbeatable LOL

Hardly, I just think the particular situations you mentioned are things it can deal with. I don't mean to come across as thinking the deck is perfect or anything, I just think Tanglevine isn't as big a problem as some people make it out to be. I've dealt with it before without really even slowing down what I was doing, so i know it can be done.

Biblofilter

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2016, 10:13:59 AM »
Hmm i think you are underestimating Tanglevine a bit.

I don´t think you be able to one shot it that often.

Your Sword is 5 dice, if you have the Dancing Scimitar out and its not dissolved then your at 8 dice.

8 dice still doesnt kill it every time, besides i always run agony and/or tangleroot in nature books.
Your only ranged attack is your curses and you would prefer to deliver those with the sword, so i see a Druid being very tuff for you. Hard to kill the tree, something as simple as bleed might hurt a lot.

You might run a few big to help you out and cast them early so you have a lot of dice in your zone.
Zombie Brute, Necropian Vampire or even Lord of Fire.

One of your biggest assets might be the "endless" Raise Dead on your opponents creatures. Id consider another and why not a [mwcard=MW1Q21]Moloch's Torment[/mwcard] ? (replace Moonglow Amulet w a Mana Crystal)

What about the Battleforge - where are you going to place it?

Still as always weak vs. non-living , no ethereal attacks and some flying weakness. (Necro/Wizard seems bad news)

http://forum.arcanewonders.com/index.php?topic=7591.0   old Lord of Terror build - still worth a read.
If you ever run into piousflea hes still a guy you want to ask about strategies etc.

http://forum.arcanewonders.com/index.php?topic=14473.msg40486#msg40486 Laddinface Curses build - another sword build.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=warbGKax9tY  Charmyna video where he plays a Druid vs Schwenkgotts Warlock sword build - as always in Charmynas videos tons of good advice/considerations.
"Töten". "Alles Töten".
Best strat advice ever