May 05, 2024, 09:37:04 AM

Author Topic: Priest of Fire  (Read 9166 times)

Milevan_Faent

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Priest of Fire
« on: August 16, 2016, 06:07:53 PM »
[spellbook]
[spellbookheader]
[spellbookname]Priest of Fire[/spellbookname]
[mage]A Priest Spellbook[/mage]
[mage]built by the OCTGN SBB[/mage]
[/spellbookheader]
[spells]
[spellclass]Attack[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MWPROMO37]6 x Sunfire Burst[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1A01]4 x Blinding Flash[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1A11]4 x Pillar of Light[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1A12]1 x Ring of Fire[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1A04]2 x Fireball[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNA01]2 x Acid Ball[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Conjuration[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MW1J04]1 x Battle Forge[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1J08]1 x Hand of Bim-Shalla[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1J09]1 x Temple of the Dawnbreaker[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1J23]1 x Temple of Asyra[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Creature[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MW1C39]1 x Valshalla, Lightning Angel[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1C19]1 x Gray Angel[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWPROMO11]1 x Joseph Trublood, High Cleric[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKC06]1 x Guardian Angel[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1C02]3 x Asyran Cleric[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Enchantment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFE01]1 x Adramelech's Touch[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWPROMO42]3 x Circle of Light[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E12]1 x Divine Protection[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Equipment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MW1Q29]1 x Staff of Asyra[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWPROMO53]1 x Gloves of Skill[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1Q03]1 x Crown of Protection[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1Q27]1 x Dawnbreaker Ring[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWPROMO7]1 x Elfric's Life Ring[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWQ10]1 x Storm Drake Hide[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1Q23]1 x Regrowth Belt[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1Q07]1 x Elemental Cloak[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKQ04]1 x Reflex Boots[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKQ01]1 x Sunfire Amulet[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1Q19]1 x Mage Wand[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWPROMO26]1 x Spiked Buckler[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Incantation[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFI01]2 x Combustion[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFI05]2 x Ignite[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1I22]1 x Resurrection[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1I20]1 x Purify[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1I14]1 x Heal[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1I17]1 x Minor Heal[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWA01I04]3 x Mend[/mwcard]
[/spells]
[cost]Total cost: 120 pts[/cost]
[/spellbook]

Opening move is to drop my Battle Forge, and build up my Temples ASAP. Then, the goal is to drop Valshalla, and drop my Clerics and Gray Angel ASAP whenever I have excess mana, while spending most of my time casting Light Attacks and burning the living daylights out of the enemy, while the Clerics keep me and Valshalla alive. Circle of Light is also a high priority early on for the Daze and extra damage.  Dunno who will be the Holy Avenger, if I even bother spending the extra mana.

When needed, on my initiative only, I use a combination of Battle Forge - Mage Wand, Resurrection/Combustion/a heal, and something I can cast myself to replace the Mage Wand, thus getting the Mage Wand and it's Bound card back into my book immediately, and preventing Dissolve from destroying it.

EDIT: Changed the plans a bit, swapped around some cards to get Acid Ball.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 06:36:47 PM by Milevan_Faent »

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
  • Out of the ashes, a new power will rise.
    • View Profile
Re: Priest of Fire
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2016, 06:11:13 PM »
Vshalla can't be holy avenger. You might want more than 1 copy of key equips like the dawnbreaker and such. Personally I wouldn't run reserection. But that's up to you. Maybe if you have the sbp dissolve dispel, ways to deal with armor.
The Phoenix shall rise.

Milevan_Faent

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2016, 06:15:03 PM »
Vshalla can't be holy avenger. You might want more than 1 copy of key equips like the dawnbreaker and such. Personally I wouldn't run reserection. But that's up to you. Maybe if you have the sbp dissolve dispel, ways to deal with armor.

Misread the Priest. And that also makes the whole Holy Avenger thing almost worthless with the currently available card pool. I'll probably almost never use it, but the deck's tactics dont really change.

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
  • Out of the ashes, a new power will rise.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2016, 06:18:17 PM »
It's really good with clerics and defenders. Cheap mana cost for the good benefit.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 10:51:00 PM by Reddicediaries »
The Phoenix shall rise.

Milevan_Faent

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2016, 06:21:27 PM »

Misread the Priest. And that also makes the whole Holy Avenger thing almost worthless with the currently available card pool. I'll probably almost never use it, but the deck's tactics dont really change.
It's really good with clerics a d defenders. Cheap mana cost for the good benefit.

It's still really annoying that it's unusable with one of the few Holy creatures that can really take advantage of it. There is not a single high-cost Holy creature that I'd choose to make a holy avenger now. That kind of ruined the idea of making a character that's actually strong enough to be a threat with the current cards. Until PvS is added, this deck is going to just suck compared to what it was when I could use Holy Avenger on the Angel.

EDIT: Updated main post with some tweaks.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 06:24:38 PM by Milevan_Faent »

Kharhaz

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2016, 06:25:21 PM »
White Cloak Knights are really obnoxious Holy Avengers......

Milevan_Faent

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2016, 06:26:43 PM »

As that is obviously not in OCTGN, that's obviously not an option. I am not even considering PvS cards right now, since I have 0 access to them. This deck will be 1000x better once I do, obviously.

Kharhaz

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2016, 06:28:57 PM »

As that is obviously not in OCTGN, that's obviously not an option. I am not even considering PvS cards right now, since I have 0 access to them. This deck will be 1000x better once I do, obviously.

Academy Priestess,

but still a valid point.

Milevan_Faent

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2016, 06:30:02 PM »

Academy Priestess,

but still a valid point.

Yeah, we don't even have access to that yet XD

EDIT: Just tweaked it a bit more, +1 Sunfire Burst, -1 Pillar of Light.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 06:37:09 PM by Milevan_Faent »

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2016, 04:10:33 PM »

It's really good with clerics a d defenders. Cheap mana cost for the good benefit.

It's still really annoying that it's unusable with one of the few Holy creatures that can really take advantage of it. There is not a single high-cost Holy creature that I'd choose to make a holy avenger now. That kind of ruined the idea of making a character that's actually strong enough to be a threat with the current cards. Until PvS is added, this deck is going to just suck compared to what it was when I could use Holy Avenger on the Angel.

I find Grey Angel from the core set makes a good Holy Avenger.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin

Milevan_Faent

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2016, 09:50:31 PM »

Why Gray Angel? That one destroys itself if you use it's healing, so that actually would make it seem like a BAD choice.

Keystone

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2016, 02:06:10 AM »

Why Gray Angel? That one destroys itself if you use it's healing, so that actually would make it seem like a BAD choice.

The Gray Angel is a very solid creature for its cost to begin with. It costs 16 mana to make a Holy Avenger, after which it has 2ar and 15hp. Quite hard to get rid of, and the flying gives additional protection. More importantly, if the enemy doesn't have time/opportunity to get rid of the flying trait (and even if the does, the angel is tough and can be healed), and instead attacks other targets, the Angel gets to use its HA -empowered strike regularly. 4 dice basic attack is solid, and 6dice+1piercing really starts to hurt.

Ofcourse, for example a Knight of Westlock is a mighty Avenger, and costs one mana more, but for the usually mana-starved priest even the one mana can be decisive. In addition, the Knight can be attacked regularly, thus denying him the HA -attacks. If bursted down, you have a big problem.

Another good HA creature is an Asyran Defender. Costs only 11 mana to make HA, 2ar and 13hp makes him tough, and on top of that a defence to discourage attacking, or presenting additional tax to attack this creature. 3 dice basic attack is nothing special, but 5dice +1 piercing is pretty strong. And if he happens to die, you can just summon another.

These opinions are only regarding to pre-PvS, because for me as well it will take probably half a year to get my hands on a copy here in Finland. Possibly going to take a long while to get the new cards in Octgn as well.
"So what are you going to cast? A Tanglevine? A Stranglevine! Tanglevine's cousin!"

-Alwinkristen, as I used Stranglevine for the first time

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2016, 06:08:22 AM »

It has 6 attack dice with the HA bonus and Flying makes it easier to position to maximize target potential for the HA trigger. Flying also makes it a bit harder to focus down and kill quickly. However, if your opponent pursues the strategy of taking down your HA, then you have an option to destroy it for the healing and reassign the HA to another creature.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2016, 06:51:37 AM »
On verge of death, [mwcard=MW1C19]Gray Angel[/mwcard] ability to Heal is very cool. Not to mention if you are rude enought to cast [mwcard=DNE02]Rise Again[/mwcard] on him :)
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2016, 09:47:12 AM »
My favorite HA has to be [mwcard=MW1C02]Asyran Cleric[/mwcard]  8)

You only spend 2 mana to give him the sweet combat buff and if they choose to attack him instead that 5 extra life for 2 mana is ridiculously cost effective. Personally I don't like HA on any creature above level 2, but Grey Angel and the new Griffin are definitely solid choices.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest